Job offersmore »
- Associate Director Global Procurement - Berlin, Germany
- FRUIT Buyer / Procurement / Purchase Manager 採購/買手 - Hong Kong
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Nordics - Finland
- International Account Manager City Farming - Netherlands
- CEO - Prague
- Plant Specialist - Melbourne, Australia
- General Manager European Region - Bologna, Italy
- Einkaufsverantwortlicher / Kundenbetreuer - Die Schweiz
- Continuous Improvement Specialist - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
- Innovation Leader - Johnston (Iowa), USA
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Golden Banana to save lives
New banana variety with higher vitamin A level
The banana is a staple food in many parts of the world. The fruit, however, generally has a low level of vitamin A. 650,000 to 700,000 children die of the effects of a lack of vitamin A annually. Australian scientists have developed a banana with a high level of vitamin A. The 'Golden Banana' can go into production in Uganda in 2021.
The Australian scientists combined a gene from a smaller banana variety from Papua New-Guinea with the gene of the Cavendish. This created a new banana variety named the Golden Banana. Due to the higher level of vitamin A the colour of the banana is much more yellow.
The research took 12 years in total. The first bananas with a higher vitamin A level are being planted in the highlands of Uganda.
Publication date: 7/13/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: