Job offersmore »
- Senior Inkoper - Maasdijk, Nederland
- Product Manager Biostimulants - Westmaas, the Netherlands
- Corporate Grower - Camarillo (CA), USA
- General Manager China - Kunming, China
- Buyer greenhouse crops - Almeria, Spain
- Trucking Fleet Manager - Azerbaijan
- Fresh Produce Traders Required for a Leading Dutch/UK Fresh Produce Business
- Key Accountmanager Horticulture Glass
- Product & Applicatie Specialist Opkweek
- Assistant Grower - Canada
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Amazon: Steeper price cuts at Whole Foods Market
- South Australia agricultural exports have increased due to new airlines
- Spain is the number one exporter of fresh fruit and vegetables globally
- AU: Strong cherry production helps drive Tasmania's agri-food growth
- Turkish tomato exports shot up 46% in October
Exchange ratesmore »
Poland: Wholesale and retail strawberry prices stabilised
Despite the May frost and snowfall, Poland's strawberry production has not been lost, although the harvest season has been delayed compared to the previous one. Wholesale and retail prices have stabilised, as has the supply.
Wholesale prices range from 4.5 to 7 zloty per kilo (between 1.07 and 1.66 Euro). They may still fall, but that will mostly depend on the supply from plantations in the coming weeks. The fruit is also in high demand by both consumers and the industry, noted analyst Magdalena Kowalewska of BGŻ BNP Paribas.
Stocks of strawberry concentrate and frozen strawberries are small in Poland and Europe; therefore, a high demand from processing plants will have an impact on the prices offered. Poland is one of the leaders of the European Union in this segment, so the size of the harvest will be equally important.
Magdalena Kowalewska recalls that, in the same period last year, strawberries were cheaper. In her opinion, the reason is the delays in the harvest due to the April and May frosts and snowfall. However, if we take these delays into account, prices are actually not much higher this season.
Last year, almost 200,000 tonnes of strawberries were harvested on Polish plantations, making it the second most popular fruit, after apples.
Publication date: 6/19/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: