Job offersmore »
- Engineer support in agricultural sciences - Switzerland
- Farm Manager - Perth, Western Australia
- Expansion manager
- Horticultural Specialist - Emeryville (CA) USA
- Sales Manager Europe Division
- Grower - Delta, (OH) USA
- Export Sales - Perth, Australia
- Production Manager Indonesia - Magelang/Central Java, Indonesia
- Director ASIA Research Station Operations - Bangkok, Thailand
- Spécialiste Technique et commercial Biocontrôle pour l’Ouest de la France
Top 5 - yesterday
- Eden Agri Citrus: black farmers assume majority share-holding in packhouse
- Canadian growers shake their heads at talk of boycotting US goods
- First ever red sweet onions out of Walla Walla
- New Zealand: Exclusive avocado access to Australia under threat
- German specialist extending shelf life without preservatives
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
EU parliament call to cut food waste by half by 2030Members of the European Parliament are advocating efforts to reduce the volume of wasted food by half in the next fifteen years by lifting restrictions on food donations and clearing up any uncertainties associated with expiry dates or ‘best before’ labels.
EP hopes to reduce the volume of food waste 30% by 2025 and 50% by 2030. It is also planned to ease restrictions on food donation.
"In developed countries food is wasted mostly at the end of the chain, at distribution and consumption. Everyone has a responsibility to tackle this problem," says MEP Biljana Borzan.
"My report calls for a coordinated policy response on labelling, liability and education, as most consumers do not understand the precise meaning of ‘best before’ and ‘use by’ labelling. Moreover, we should address the shortcomings of existing EU legislation where it hinders food donations," she added,
"In the EU, food waste has been estimated at some 88 million tonnes, or 173 kg per capita per year. The production and disposal of this food waste leads to the emission of 170 million tonnes of CO2 and consumes 26 million tonnes of resources," EP reports.
Publication date: 5/18/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: