Job offersmore »
- Management Accountant - Portugal
- Outside Technical Sales Position, Horticulture - Canada
- Area Manager Russia
- Machine Operator Buitendienst
- Grower (cucumbers) - Australia
- Business Development Manager - The Netherlands
- Greenhouse Construction Workers - U.S.
- (Senior) Werkvoorbereider/Engineer Kas Plus - Netherlands
- International Account Manager - Netherlands
- Business Advisor - China
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- Dutch launch first ever foreign pepper brand in China
- Chile exhibited its fruit export offer in London
- TOMRA launches new food sorter user interface to improve work flow
- Maersk Line papaya shipment opens India to new markets
- Matthew Brigotti joins Idaho Potato Commission as Foodservice Promotion Director
Top 5 - last month
- Panama: President signs contract law between the State and Del Monte
- Hort Connections: 'Smart Packaging' is the way of the future
- Levarht launches China-produced tomatoes in retailers across the country
- Volm Companies and Wyma Solutions announce North American strategic partnership
- Italy: Natura Iblea's Paniere Bio initiative
Exchange ratesmore »
Hector Arriagada, Aconcagua Foods: Chile
"We're the largest peach processor in the entire Southern Hemisphere"Chile has the longest peach season in the world, as it lasts almost 12 weeks between January and March. This year's harvest is over, and Hector Arriagada, from Aconcagua Foods, a food processor, said it had been a very good campaign. "It has been a very normal year, but we consider that a normal year is always a good year because it means we have enough volume for our customers; not too much, so prices have not gone down. In fact they have increased by 5 and 10%," he said optimistically.
More than a century old
Aconcagua Foods is a Chilean company with its headquarters in the metropolitan region of Santiago. It was created more than a century ago, but at that time it produced and commercialized fresh fruits. Some 50 years ago, the company became a fruit processor and it is now part of Mexico's La Costeña group.
Its biggest product is canned peaches, as it processes 80,000 tons per year, but it also works with apples, pears, grapes, cherries, and vegetables. In total the company processes 120,000 tons of fresh fruits and 8,000 tons of vegetables.
Its biggest market is Mexico, although it also allocates a large part of its production to the domestic markets of Chile, Peru, and the United States. "These markets consume a lot of this product, as they are already used to it. We have a strong position in these markets because we have our own brands in them: in Mexico we have La Costeña, while in Chile and Peru we have the Aconcagua brand," he said.
January to March
"We are the largest peach processor in the entire southern hemisphere, and we work very closely with a total of 200 producers. The peach harvest takes place between January and March, and in that time we wash, treat, peel, can, and preserve them so that we have them ready when there is demand, at any time of the year," Arriagada said. Finally, he said the company had revenues for some 120 million dollars each year.
T: (+56-2) 28218022
Publication date: 5/17/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: