Job offersmore »
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Nordics - Finland
- International Account Manager City Farming - Netherlands
- CEO - Prague
- Plant Specialist - Melbourne, Australia
- General Manager European Region - Bologna, Italy
- Einkaufsverantwortlicher / Kundenbetreuer - Die Schweiz
- Continuous Improvement Specialist - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
- Innovation Leader - Johnston (Iowa), USA
- VP of Sales - Montreal, Canada
- IPM Consultant - Adelaide Plains, Australia
Top 5 - yesterday
- Australian grower recognized for efforts in China
- The new Spring Sunshine mandarin could be the world's tastiest
- UK importer & Mexican lime producer plan to launch organic Fair-Trade alternative
- “Since 2002, US avocado consumption has grown 250 percent”
- Earlier 2018 Mexican table grape season kick off expected
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Agricultural greenhouses for space missions
Future missions to Mars are getting closer. We even know that, when the time comes, there will be space tourism to the Moon. To make all this possible, however, there need to be developments in different areas, including food. That's why NASA is working to have agricultural greenhouses on Mars so that there can be human settlements on that planet over a long period of time.
There are even some breweries that want to produce their drinks there. NASA intends to send a human colony to Mars in the future. Life, however, is unsustainable in this planet so they need to create the ideal environment through agricultural greenhouses to be able to plant.
According to Motor 24, a Portuguese website, there already is a prototype of the greenhouse that will be taken to Mars, although it can also be used on the Moon. This will allow any long-term human mission to produce their own fresh vegetables, which will help recycle oxygen and be used as food.
This concept has been called a bio-regenerative life support system. The idea of this system, as we have stated, is to provide food for astronauts, but also to make the air breathable. It will always be in a closed system.
In search of the ideal plant
Currently, the Faculty of Agriculture and Life Sciences in Arizona is analyzing what type of plants are the most suitable for these NASA missions.
Maybe in the near future many tourists will be making use of this agricultural greenhouse to travel to the Moon. This tourist trips to the moon may be a reality by 2022.
Researchers continue making progress to make a trip to Mars a reality, for example, researchers in Germany have found a way of using human urine as fertilizer for tomatoes.
Source: Motor 24
Publication date: 5/15/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: