Job offersmore »
- Assistant Grower - Canada
- Experienced International Buyer/Seller Germany
- Project and Sales Manager - Russia/Caucasian Region
- Quality Coordinator EU in Supply Chain Management Dep.
- Regional Sales Director - United States
- Territory Sales Position - US
- International Tomato Grower - Worldwide
- Grower Manager - US
- Application Scientist Salesperson - US
- Technical & Operations Manager - Australia
Top 5 - yesterday
- Florida fruit growers sour over NAFTA as production continues falling
- "Quality for us starts more than 12 months before the crop is even harvested"
- “Give us 1.20 dollar more per box”
- First Colombian Hass avocado shipment makes its way to Port Long Beach, US
- Fruit becoming scarcer in growing world market
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Mucci Farms expands by doubling size of berry farmMucci Farms announces Phase Two of their strawberry farm development with a 12-acre expansion of Boem Berry Farms, doubling the current footprint to 24-acres—over 1 million square feet, to be in operation in the Fall of 2017. "I could not be more excited and proud of our entire team," said Joe Spano, VP of Sales & Marketing. "Creative, forward thinking and always bringing change and innovation to the greenhouse industry. Now once again we find ourselves entering a new space for the North American market, instantly setting the bar for the best consumer experience in the Strawberry category!"
Click here to enlarge
Exclusively growing strawberries in the largest, controlled environment, strawberry farm in North America, Mucci Farms and Dutch Growers Ton Bastiaansen and Joost van Oers, struck a partnership in January of 2016 after 3 years of trialing. They have seen steady growth and expanded demand for greenhouse grown strawberries. Spano continues, "Consumers today are emphasizing healthy eating and are willing to pay for products that have superior flavour along with high standards for nutrition and food safety. We see a demand for more greenhouse grown strawberries in the market."
The strawberries are marketed by Mucci Farms under their Smuccies™ brand. Phase Three of the expansion, scheduled for 2018 will include state of the art lit culture technology, allowing them to offer locally grown strawberries during the winter months under grow lights.
"Greenhouse strawberries are grown in an environment that uses 100% of the fertilizer," says Blake Fischer, Head strawberry grower at Mucci Farms. "We can tailor nutrients to exactly what the plant needs, allowing the product to grow exactly as intended with maximum flavor and consistency. Our strawberries are clean, harvested with immense care, and grown in a biologically and climate controlled environment."
"Like the first 12-acres, the additional 12 will also include the use of diffused glass which provides even sunlight to the crops and reduces stress on the plants," says George Dekker, Special Projects Manager at Mucci Farms. "We will continue to incorporate high pressure fogging systems to cool down the greenhouse in the summer and also use the swing gutter system to allow for maximum plants per square meter."
The Award Winning Greenhouse Grown Smuccies™ are available and in-stores now.
For more information: www.muccifarms.com
Publication date: 4/12/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: