Job offersmore »
- Account Manager, Southern, Protected Cropping - Melbourne, Australia
- Coördinator Biologische Gewasbescherming - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
- Head Grower, Retractable Roof Shadehouse - Wedgecarrup, Australia
- National Nursery Manager - Melbourne, Australia
- Lighting Applications Specialist (Horticulture) - Beamsville, Ontario, Canada
- Gärtner für den konventionellen Gemüsebau - Austria
- Expert vegetable farm manager/master grower seeking for his next position
- Horticulture Advisor - The Hague, the Netherlands
- Growing Manager - Victoria, Australia
- Service Engineer - Almeria, Spain
Top 5 - yesterday
- AU: Some WA Strawberry growers forecast average production despite TPP
- Germany: Substantial price increases for Spanish imported vegetables
- "Hopefully 2018 will be a better year for avocados than 2017"
- Ukraine: Blueberry demand still growing faster than supplies
- Opening of apple season in Eastern Free State, South Africa
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Ukraine imports record volume of bananas
Consumption of bananas in Ukraine is growing rapidly, reports APK-Inform: Vegetables and Fruits. According to official data, the import of these fruits into the Ukrainian market has doubled since the beginning of the season.
In the period between September 2016 and February 2017, Ukraine imported 171 thousand tonnes of bananas, which is the highest figure since the country's independence. For comparison, only 87 thousand tonnes of the product were shipped to the Ukrainian market in the same period a season earlier.
The main supplier of bananas to Ukraine is traditionally Ecuador. This country has accounted for about 63% of all imports this season. The supply of Ecuadorian bananas to the Ukrainian market has increased by almost 40% since the beginning of the current season.
Industry experts believe that one of the reasons for the growth of banana consumption in Ukraine is the decline in prices. At the moment, bananas are sold by large wholesalers on the Ukrainian market for 26-28 UAH/kg (0.90-0.97 Euro/kg), which is 4-7% cheaper than in early April 2016.
Publication date: 4/12/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: