Job offersmore »
- Sales and Marketing Representative - Canada (British Columbia)
- Werken op een groene productie locatie in Afrika?
- Site Manager - UK
- Avocado Industry Data Analyst - Australia
- Assistant farm manager
- Plant breeder or molecular biologist (Denmark)
- Post-Harvest Senior Manager Required- Kenya
- Growing specialist Helda Beans & Peppers - Africa or Mediterranean area
- Product Development and R&D Engineer (Greenhouse and Equipment) - Canada
- General Manager Latin America - Mexico
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Pre-clearance program workshop hosted at Miami Perishable meeting
Advance Customs Brokers in cooperation with Don Wrinkles of Port of Miami, Robert Balaam, National Operations Manager, USDA, APHIS, PPQ and Seaboard Marine, hosted a Pre-Clearance Workshop at the Port of Miami.
Robert Balaam responded to Advance Customs Brokers interest in educating the industry in the Pre-Clearance Program by flying in Dr. Jo-Ann Bentz, Blanco, Assistant Director, Pre-Clearance and Offshore Programs (POP), USDA APHIS PPQ, domiciled in Riverdale, Maryland.
The event was attended by over 70 participants representing over 50 different companies including pineapple shippers from Costa Rica, Chinese vegetable growers from Honduras, a representative from the Guatemala Association of Growers as well as importers, ocean carriers and trade interests.
Dr. Bentz provided an insightful presentation, explaining all aspects of the program, which highlighted the following:
What is pre-clearance?
An operation supporting and conducting phytosanitary inspections and/or treatment certification in the country of origin of a specific commodity to be exported to the U.S.
Benefits of a Pre-Clearance program
- Expedited entry at US port of entry (inspection and/or mandatory treatment has been done before export).
- Lower risk of interceptions rejections or delays upon US arrival.
- Ensures quality produce.
- Facilitates trade of high risk commodities, e.g. fruit fly hosts from countries where fruit flies occur.
- Technical oversight and access.
"This program offers an excellent alternative for inspection and clearance of approved commodities at origin for highly sensitive commodities and commodities with frequent pest interceptions," said Pat Compres, CEO and owner of Advance Customs Brokers.
For more information:
Pat Compres, CEO
Advance Customs Brokers
Publication date: 4/7/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: