Job offersmore »
- Technical Sales Representative Trainee - Ancaster, Ontario
- International Account Manager City Farming - Horticulture LED Solutions
- CEO for a leading Agri-Business working on an international basis
- Greenhouse Operations Lead - Alberta, Canada
- Commercial Head Grower - Newark, NJ (USA)
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Regional Sales Manager - USA
- General Manager Operations - Australia
- International Account manager Horticulture LED Solutions - Netherlands
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Northern Europe
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Medjool date category growing every year
California: Date consumption continues to increase
As an industry, the date category, particularly the Medjool variety, is growing year after year. “We’re growing as well,” said Robert Dobrzanski, president of Atlas Produce & Distribution, Inc. “We’ve had a 20 percent increase in volume this past year and next year we’re looking at the same.” Existing acreage is producing more fruit in California’s Coachella Valley; prices are relatively stable, he added. “Consumption is increasing overall in the US as people are looking for healthy snacks, so we’re seeing an increase by 20 percent year after year which has been excellent.”
The company's dates are sold under the Caramel Naturel Medjool Dates brand, along with a line of Deglet Noor packaged products, including date coconut rolls, date almond rolls, chopped dates, whole golden dates, pitted and non-pitted Deglet Noor.
“The quality this year is excellent. It’s been really good,” said Dobrzanski. “We didn’t have any rain when we picked so that was good news.” The organic line is growing steadily. “We’ll have about 50 per cent more organic than we had in the past (this coming season).” There will be a big push for the upcoming Easter holiday and some other religious occasions celebrated by customers within the United States, Canada, Australia and the Pacific Rim.
Dobrzanski says they are able to maintain consistent large sized fruit because of the thinning process they do on the trees year to year. “We pride ourselves on high quality and very large fruit. This year was an exceptionally good year for size.”
Recntly Atlas Produce & Distribution, Inc. added two new members to its sales team: Carey Jimenez and Luke Fountain.
For more information:
Atlas Produce & Distribution, Inc.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: