Job offersmore »
- Area Manager Russia
- Machine Operator Buitendienst
- Grower (cucumbers) - Australia
- Business Development Manager - The Netherlands
- Greenhouse Construction Workers - U.S.
- (Senior) Werkvoorbereider/Engineer Kas Plus - Netherlands
- International Account Manager - Netherlands
- Business Advisor - China
- Account Manager for Technical Horticultural Greenhouse Products - Canada
- Floriculture Sales and Marketing Professional
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
First Jersey Royals hit the UK marketThe much prized Jersey Royals hit the market for the first time this week, just slightly later than the first crop last year. The potatoes are all from greenhouses or poly tunnels and there are still very limited volumes.
"We sent the first Jersey Royals over to England to selected panellists at the London Markets and Southampton on Monday," said William Church from the Jersey Royal Company. "Volumes are limited this week, but will increase gradually until we start the outside harvest in early April."
The season was a few weeks behind that of last year as the skies were clear, lowering both air and ground temperatures, but William said there had been persistent rain and drizzle over the last ten days that has brought warmer temperatures which will help the crop develop.
"The season has been a bit slower getting going this year but its picking up now. Prices are very good at the moment at £2.50 per lb, this will not last for long though," explains William.
The Jersey Royal Company has the luxury of being the only one on the market just now.
For more information:
The Jersey Royal Company Ltd
Tel: +44(0)1534 850406
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: