Job offersmore »
- Senior Grower - Australia
- General Manager - Australia
- Purchasing Specialist Exoten - Netherlands
- Intercompany Key Account Manager Exoten - Netherlands
- Buitendienst Medewerker - Oost Nederland
- Managing Grower - Australia
- Senior Grower - Talbotville, Ontario, Canada
- Operations Manager - Fresh Produce
- Senior Account Manager Retail - Netherlands
- Supply Allocation and Inventory Manager - Fresh Produce, Italy
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Costa Rica: Government accused of ignoring organic pineapple issue
- Organic food consumption continues to increase in Europe
- Russian fruit and vegetable imports partially recovered
- Spain: About 20,000 tonnes of stone fruit damaged by frost in Murcia
- Research into potential of Feijoas to become Australia's next 'superfood'
Exchange ratesmore »
Trade barriers hit Chinese pear exports to Europe and the US"In 2016, Europe and the United States altered the standards for pesticide residues in imported fresh pears, which not only seriously affected China's exports of fresh pears, but also hit export prices. Compared to 2015, fresh pear export prices fell by 15-20% in 2016," said Mr.Zhao Xiaolei from the Hebei Tianbo Trade Limited Company.
Mr.Zhao Xiaolei, his company specializes in the production and export of Chinese pears in Hebei province, Northeast China.
"Our company is located in Shijiazhuang city of Heibei province, owning an area of over 10 thousand acres of fresh pear orchards, and two processing plants. One serves the high-end markets, such as the United States, Canada, Peru, Argentina, Australia and Chile. The other is for low-end markets such as Southeast Asia and the European Union. Our main varieties of fresh pears are the crown pear and the emerald pear. We implement orders in this operation and fresh pears are graded and packaged according to the requirements of different countries after being picked and frozen and, finally, exported through the Tianjin and Qingdao ports under own-brand labels, such as "Tianbo" "Bibo" "Juxiong" and "Tianying" etc. We have an annual export volume of 1.5-2.5 tons.
"2 years ago, our exports to Europe and the United States accounted for about 30% of total exports. This proportion dropped to about 5% after the introduction of the new pesticide residue standards. Taking the American market as an example, we currently only have a small amount of exports just to maintain customer relationships due to the risks. In view of this situation, the Hebei province Fresh Pear Export Association, which was organized by a few Chinese fresh pear enterprises, is actively exploring the solution. In the new planting season, we will strictly control the residue in accordance with the European and American standards, to ensure that the new fresh pears can be successfully exported to the United States and Europe.
"It is worth noting that the demands of India, Indonesia and other Southeast Asian countries for fresh pears is still large, which balances the total export volume to some extent. In the composition of the consumer groups, due to different tastes and price preferences, our main consumer groups in Europe and the United States are ex-pat Chinese and in the Southeast Asian market it is the locals.
Hebei Tianbo Trade Limited Company
Mobile:+86 138 3112 1180
Tel:+86 311 8776 206
Fax:+86 311 8776 9895
Publication date: 3/3/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: