Job offersmore »
- Technical Sales Representative Trainee - Ancaster, Ontario
- International Account Manager City Farming - Horticulture LED Solutions
- CEO for a leading Agri-Business working on an international basis
- Greenhouse Operations Lead - Alberta, Canada
- Commercial Head Grower - Newark, NJ (USA)
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Regional Sales Manager - USA
- General Manager Operations - Australia
- International Account manager Horticulture LED Solutions - Netherlands
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Northern Europe
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Guatemalan peas become first ocean-to-air shipment between Miami and AmsterdamSeveral tons of Guatemalan snow peas became the first to be air-shipped from Miami International Airport to Amsterdam via Centurion Cargo, the new shipping method, finally coming to fruition after years of negotiations.
The flight launched the airport’s long-awaited Ocean-to-Air Trans-shipment Program, says Ernesto Rodriguez, the Miami-Dade Aviation Department’s marketing section chief. The program, he says, expedites delivery of perishables from Latin America to overseas markets by transferring them from cargo ships arriving at PortMiami or Port Everglades to planes at MIA.
It’s expected to save time and money for cargo shippers, which will not be required to pay customs duties, Mr. Rodriguez says, and will also bring fresher Latin American produce to overseas consumers.
“For the past four years,” he says, “we’ve been working very hard with the US Department of Agriculture to get a permit to start this pilot program. The first company to apply was Customized Brokers, a subsidiary of Crowley Maritime Corp., and they were granted the permit. We have been working with them to get the approvals we need.”
“One of our business models,” says Customized Brokers Vice President Kimberly Wakefield, “is to listen to our customers. They were telling us how hard it is to get perishables to Europe. That’s what started it.”
“Customized Brokers will be able to do four shipments a week,” he says. “It’s a pilot program for the first year, and everybody wants to make sure it works smoothly. We are going through detailed logistics to make sure that the project continues.”
Publication date: 2/1/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: