Job offersmore »
- Product Manager Biostimulants - Westmaas, the Netherlands
- Corporate Grower - Camarillo (CA), USA
- General Manager China - Kunming, China
- Buyer greenhouse crops - Almeria, Spain
- Trucking Fleet Manager - Azerbaijan
- Fresh Produce Traders Required for a Leading Dutch/UK Fresh Produce Business
- Key Accountmanager Horticulture Glass
- Product & Applicatie Specialist Opkweek
- Assistant Grower - Canada
- Experienced International Buyer/Seller Germany
Top 5 - yesterday
- Excellent EU grape market – if only the grapes can get there
- Winter storm Benji dusts southern US and Mexico with rare snow
- Challenges and opportunities for Colombia's banana sector
- California growers set out to fully assess wildfire damage
- Morocco: Strawberry acreage grows from 10 to 3,660 hectares in 27 years
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Amazon: Steeper price cuts at Whole Foods Market
- Year-round produce for Canada’s most northern communities
- BILLA Online Shop: over 50% of the online shopping baskets contain fresh products
- South Australia agricultural exports have increased due to new airlines
- Turkish tomato exports shot up 46% in October
Exchange ratesmore »
A culinary celebration of Germany’s favorite fruit!
“Day of the German apple”
January 11 is the “Day of the German apple”. This day is the celebratory start of the "Week of the German Apple" a week overflowing with sensual palate teasers, cinematic pleasures, original recipe ideas from the apple ‘empire’ as well as apple recipe exchange-excitement!
“In the beginning there was the apple,” a heavenly sweet temptation, which seduces millions of apple lovers daily. Every year, on 11 January, the German Association of Fruit and Vegetable Producers (BVEO) emphasizes the importance of this popular fruit with special and celebratory actions.
This year, to celebrate the seventh “Day of the German apple” the BVEO released the brilliant Youtube-film "Am Anfang was der Apfel" (In the beginning there was the apple) by Berlin filmmaker Simon Ruschmeyer. Fitting for the occasion, the clip shows seven galactically good recipes, which reveal how alluring, sensual, crunchy and aesthetically pleasing apples are. The film is the start of the culinary celebration of all recipes suggestions for apples.
Apple recipe exchange excitement!
The "Day of the German Apple" is also the first day of the: “crates for recipes contest”. Until the end of January 2017 the BVEO collects Germany’s favorite apple recipes. The first 250 entries get a crate of crisp and fresh German apples for free. Out all the entries a jury consisting of several specialists, such as the BVEO director Dr. Christian Weseloh, the cult food blogger Hendrik Haase and the Berlin top chef Alf Wagenzink, will choose the best three recipes. The winners will be awarded with a wide range of prizes, not only a culinary weekend for 2 in Berlin, but also an award ceremony at the BVEO headquarters, located close to Brandenburg Gate and a dinner centered around apples with jury member and chef Alf Wagenzink, who prepares the winning recipes.
Enter and enjoy
Participants who hand in their recipes during the International Green Week in Baden-Württemberg (hall 5/2B stand 251) will not only participate in the contest, but will also receive a free apple to enjoy directly!
More information about the contest is available at www.deutsches-obst-und-gemuese.de and on Facebook. Apple enthusiasts can also find tips and ideas for their favorite fruit there.
Publication date: 1/10/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: