Job offersmore »
- Commercial Head Grower - Newark, NJ (USA)
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Regional Sales Manager - USA
- General Manager Operations - Australia
- International Account manager Horticulture LED Solutions - Netherlands
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Northern Europe
- Agronomist consultant - Europe/USA
- International Sales Manager - -Europe/USA
- Sales person
- Director of International Sales and Marketing - USA, Miami (FL)
Top 5 - yesterday
- "We are building a global brand, it's not just about selling apples"
- Accu-Label customizes labeling solutions and introduces new tray labeler
- “An auction is a good way to sell large volumes in a short time”
- "Strong growth experienced in the Dutch and import season"
- “Water shortage Western Cape will have negative impact on availability of grapes”
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Half of the fresh-cut fruit is in plastic punnetsAccording to the new analysis carried out by FreshPlaza and IRI, a leading company in market information, analysis, business intelligence solutions and consultancy, the value of fresh-cut fruit sales increased by 20% in 12 months. This analysis compared data referring to October 2015-September 2016 with that referring to October 2014-September 2015.
In the last 12 months, sales reached a value of almost €22 million. The sales volume increased too, reaching little over 2.1 million kg (+22.3%), as well as units sold (+22.7% at 8.3 million packets).
North-western Italy is where fresh-cut fruit is most popular, so much so that it generates 50% (a little over €11 million) of the sales value. Percentage-wise, however, the growth was lower than in other areas (+14.5%).
The remaining half of the sales is carried out in north-east and central Italy and Sardinia. Both areas reach €5 million and only a few hundred thousand Euro apart. Both experienced an increase in sales value (+29.5% and +23% respectively).
Southern Italy only represents a small fraction of sales value, but had a 38% growth.
Other interesting data can be gathered by analysing packaging. Half of the sales comes from plastic punnets, which have become even more popular than the other packaging solutions during the period examined (+34.8% in value).
The second most popular packaging, i.e. other types of punnets, have gone down (-10.6%), though the third most popular packaging type has increased (bowls, +8.9%). We must also consider the performance of tins, which practically doubled their sales value (+95.7%) and plastic-wrapped fruit (+159.1%).
Publication date: 10/27/2016
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here