Job offersmore »
- Senior growers/agronomists - China
- Account Manager Foodservice en Groothandel DACH - Netherlands
- Business Development Manager - California
- Head of Sales North America - Sacramento (CA) USA
- Import Assistant and Operations Assistant - Netherlands
- Farms Director UK - South East
- Agronomist to work abroad
- Export salesperson GERMANY - Barcelona, Spain
- Account Manager Zachtfruit Scandinavië en Duitsland - Netherlands
- International Editor
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Uganda: Farmers reject free pineapple suckers
Farmers in the Ntungamo District of Uganda, have rejected pineapple suckers supplied to them under the Operation Wealth Creation (OWC) programme after finding out that they were infected with pests.
The pests eat the stems and dry up the pineapple. Mr Edson Bamwesigye, the farmers' chairperson, on Monday 17 Oct., said they have been battling the same pests in their gardens.
"We have a challenge of pests that cause the suckers to rot and eat up the fruit, we asked for suckers from Operation Wealth Creation, but when they were brought, 90 per cent had the same pest and some were rotten," said Mr Bamwesigye.
The district agriculture officer, Ms Esther Atwine, advised the farmers to use common pesticides to fight the pests.
Col Fred Tumwebaze, the district OWC coordinator acknowledged receiving the farmers' complaint, adding that his office would investigate the matter and if possible, supply new suckers.
The wealth creation officials paid Shs70-80 for each of the 14,000 suckers delivered last weekend.
(1 Ugandan Shilling=0.00029 USD)
Publication date: 10/20/2016
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: