Job offersmore »
- CEO - Prague
- Plant Specialist - Melbourne, Australia
- General Manager European Region - Bologna, Italy
- Einkaufsverantwortlicher / Kundenbetreuer - Die Schweiz
- Continuous Improvement Specialist - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
- Innovation Leader - Johnston (Iowa), USA
- VP of Sales - Montreal, Canada
- IPM Consultant - Adelaide Plains, Australia
- National Nursery Manager - Australia
- Substrate Grower - Launceston CBD, Tasmania
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Kenyan-German pact to boost potato production
On Thursday 28 July, an agreement was signed between the governor of Nyandarua county in Kenya and a German delegation, which will see potato production increase in the Kenyan county.
The German Government will help the county through the provision of high quality seeds, mechanization of the potato farming as well as value addition. The move according to the Government will help boost the potato production from the current 33 per cent of the national potato production with about 36,446ha of the crop cultivated annually to higher levels.
Governor Daniel Waithaka noted that the development would also see farmers uplift their livelihood for the better through value addition. "This will be a major milestone for our farmers who have been planting lower quality seeds and have not been trained on value addition. The German Government has pledged to help us in this as well as providing machinery to help in planting and harvesting in large scale." He outlined his government’s commitment to promote the potato sector through establishment of seed bulking sites which is six acres in each of the 25 wards for bulking currently with Kenya Mpya, Rudolf and Shangi varieties.
Read more at www.standardmedia.co.ke.
Publication date: 7/29/2016
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: