Job offersmore »
- Junior Productie Manager - Kenia
- Quality Assurance Quality Control - Canada
- Senior growers/agronomists - China
- Account Manager Foodservice en Groothandel DACH - Netherlands
- Business Development Manager - California
- Head of Sales North America - Sacramento (CA) USA
- Import Assistant and Operations Assistant - Netherlands
- Farms Director UK - South East
- Agronomist to work abroad
- Export salesperson GERMANY - Barcelona, Spain
Top 5 - yesterday
- Grape grower-shipper opens new warehouse in Nogales, AZ
- One of New Zealand’s newest apple varieties starts Dazzling the world
- Spain: Report accuses major veg producer of severe environmental damage
- AU: New technology delivering biodegradable produce labels
- China: Dragon fruit prices down slightly compared to previous years
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
''Intended to make Africa remain in subsistence farming''
Kenyan MP criticises EU draft bill on GMOs
A draft bill at the EU parliament which urges G8 member states not to support GMO research and cultivation in Africa, has been criticised by Kenyan MPs. Mt Elgon MP John Serut said he reads malice in the proposed draft bill on the New Alliance for Food Security and Nutrition.
“.. it looks like it is intended to make Africa remain in subsistence farming,” said Serut a member of the agriculture committee.
The bill has been drafted and sponsored by the Committee on Development in the EU parliament and it claims that the technology is not good for Africa.
The MPs and biotechnology experts noted that the success of this motion will lead to termination of most Africa based research and development for GM crops.
He called for support from the Kenya’s legislatures by writing a formal protest letter to the EU Parliament.
“Interestingly, there is no single word in the Bill that touches on export of GM products to Africa,” he said.
Publication date: 6/2/2016
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: