Job offersmore »
- Outside Technical Sales Position, Horticulture - Canada
- Area Manager Russia
- Machine Operator Buitendienst
- Grower (cucumbers) - Australia
- Business Development Manager - The Netherlands
- Greenhouse Construction Workers - U.S.
- (Senior) Werkvoorbereider/Engineer Kas Plus - Netherlands
- International Account Manager - Netherlands
- Business Advisor - China
- Account Manager for Technical Horticultural Greenhouse Products - Canada
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- Dutch launch first ever foreign pepper brand in China
- Chile exhibited its fruit export offer in London
- TOMRA launches new food sorter user interface to improve work flow
- Maersk Line papaya shipment opens India to new markets
- Matthew Brigotti joins Idaho Potato Commission as Foodservice Promotion Director
Top 5 - last month
- Panama: President signs contract law between the State and Del Monte
- Hort Connections: 'Smart Packaging' is the way of the future
- Levarht launches China-produced tomatoes in retailers across the country
- Volm Companies and Wyma Solutions announce North American strategic partnership
- Italy: Natura Iblea's Paniere Bio initiative
Exchange ratesmore »
Italy: The fresh-cut range has become a category
Over the past twenty years, the fresh-cut sector has been one of the most dynamic - three different stages can be distinguished from the early 1990s to today.
FreshPlaza talked about it with Giuseppe Battagliola, co-owner of "La Linea Verde" with his brother Domenico.
The company headquarters.
"The fresh-cut sector has experienced a two-figure growth for many years. It was a great success and everyone involved obtained great results. Now things have slowed down, but it does not mean there is no room to grow."
Raw material checks.
According to the manager, the fresh-cut range has become a highly specialised category. "The management of a category requires a highly structured and efficient production chain, but it can lead to excellent results."
Washing of raw material.
But being able to develop a structure to face the new challenges of the sector and meet the needs of consumers is not that easy.
Handling of pallets at La Linea Verde.
"To us, being fresh-cut specialists means controlling the entire productive process by managing everything in short amounts of time, processing raw material in controlled-temperature environments and using our own company for deliveries. In addition, we also work in R&D and marketing. La Linea Verde is not only a supplier of fresh-cut produce, but an ideal parter to manage an entire category."
The company philosophy
Behind this structure, there is a long history of perseverance, determination and innovative spirit.
"I was born with a 'seed' inside of me planted there by my father, which is called a will to grow, to stand out, to embark on a journey that makes you do increasingly more. I am proud of having managed to transfer this spirit into our company. When expanding, many business risk losing their sense of belonging and speed of reaction. We have worked a lot to build a team capable of maintaining the virtues of a small company in terms of efficiency and professional/personal satisfaction and combining them with the advantages offered by working for a bigger company."
Left to right: owners Domenico and Giuseppe Battagliola and Giuseppe's son Andrea Battagliola, sales manager.
"We have never lost sight of our fundamental values, i.e. honesty, professionalism and curiosity. I would also like to thank my brother Domenico, who has travelled all over the world keeping our pioneering spirit alive."
For further information:
Author: Rossella Gigli
Publication date: 10/15/2015
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here