Job offersmore »
- Growing Manager - Skye, Victoria
- Assistant Professor of Urban Horticultural Crops - United States (CA)
- Senior Inkoper - Maasdijk, Nederland
- Product Manager Biostimulants - Westmaas, the Netherlands
- Corporate Grower - Camarillo (CA), USA
- General Manager China - Kunming, China
- Buyer greenhouse crops - Almeria, Spain
- Trucking Fleet Manager - Azerbaijan
- Fresh Produce Traders Required for a Leading Dutch/UK Fresh Produce Business
- Key Accountmanager Horticulture Glass
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Anti-browning formula to enhance produce shelf-life developed
After more than 400 tests and four years of research, Cal Poly has developed a new method to prevent browning and reduce the growth of aerobic bacteria, yeasts, and molds as well.
Dr. Wyatt Brown and his team in Cal Poly™s Horticulture & Crop Science Department in the College of Agriculture, Food & Environmental Sciences created a multi-functional formula as an alternative to current anti-browning methods that only focus on enhancing the aesthetic quality of fruits and vegetables.
Though the formula proved effective for various types of sliced fruits and vegetables, the researchers discovered that when applied to pre-cut Granny Smith and Fuji apples, the composition prevented browning and the growth of aerobic bacteria, yeasts, and molds for a minimum period of 21 days.
Publication date: 9/18/2015
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here