Job offersmore »
- Assistant Grower - United States
- General Manager (Portugal)
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Sales and Marketing Representative - Canada (British Columbia)
- Werken op een groene productie locatie in Afrika?
- Site Manager - UK
- Avocado Industry Data Analyst - Australia
- Assistant farm manager
- Plant breeder or molecular biologist (Denmark)
- Post-Harvest Senior Manager Required- Kenya
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
- South African navel exports from Eastern Cape possibly 50% down
- North American company selling Spanish cherries to Asian countries
- Frost hits European fruit and vegetable sector hard
- Saturated apple markets mean difficult year for South African exports
- “South African grapefruit arrives on empty market”
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Anti-browning formula to enhance produce shelf-life developed
After more than 400 tests and four years of research, Cal Poly has developed a new method to prevent browning and reduce the growth of aerobic bacteria, yeasts, and molds as well.
Dr. Wyatt Brown and his team in Cal Poly™s Horticulture & Crop Science Department in the College of Agriculture, Food & Environmental Sciences created a multi-functional formula as an alternative to current anti-browning methods that only focus on enhancing the aesthetic quality of fruits and vegetables.
Though the formula proved effective for various types of sliced fruits and vegetables, the researchers discovered that when applied to pre-cut Granny Smith and Fuji apples, the composition prevented browning and the growth of aerobic bacteria, yeasts, and molds for a minimum period of 21 days.
Publication date: 9/18/2015
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here