- Flower Bulb and Perennial Sales Position - Portland (Oregon) USA
- Plant Production Scientist - Brooklyn (NY) USA
- Greenhouse Assistant Grower - Abbotsford (B.C.) Canada
- Technical Sales Representative - South Western Ontario, Canada
- Farm Manager - West Africa
- Managing Agronomist - Surinam
- Vegetal Material Programme Leader - Cisterna di Latina (Latium), Italy
- Head of Sales North America - Sacramento (CA) USA
- Inkoop Specialist Holland Product - Netherlands
- Vegetable Grower - Australia
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last month
Top 5 -last week
Two things that all great brands have in common
Today, the world has changed, and many examples show that one can win in branding even without investing a lot of money.
So, where should you start if you want to build a successful product or food brand?
As it always happens, you should start from the basis: from the two things that every brand wishing to be successful should have.
The first thing is differentiation: your brand has to be perceived as different enough from the others by your target consumers. But differentiation by itself is not enough: the difference has to be relevant to buyers – in other words, your difference should allow the buyer to better reach their objectives than your competitors' brands.
The second thing is distinctiveness: your brand should not only be different, but it has to be designed (packaging, visuals, colours, etc) in a distinctive way, so it stands out on the supermarket shelves.
Differentiation and distinctiveness are nowadays equally important (well, some recent theories even come to the more extreme conclusion that distinctiveness is now more capable of explaining why a brand is successful, considering how difficult it is to differentiate brands in the modern world)
Truth is that differentiation and distinctiveness are completing each other, in the same way as substance and form, mind and body.
So, if you want to create a successful food or produce brand, first think about differentiation. Find a differentiating idea that separates your brand from the others, in a relevant way for buyers. In other words – first consider the substance, the mind.
And then - build on this idea – work on the form, on the visual, on the emotions. Create something that distinguishes your brand from the others so shoppers notice and remember your products when looking at the shelves.
Differentiation and distinctiveness: here is the winning combination that all the best food brands have in common.
If you are interested in fresh produce marketing, download the free e-book "Introduction to marketing for fresh produce"
Pisani Produce Marketing is a consulting agency for food and produce companies that want to sell more, at higher prices in Italy. It has been founded by Maurizio Pisani, former Chiquita and Fresh Del Monte executive.
For more info:
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 09/18/2018 Comprehensible encyclopaedia for the plant of the future
- 09/18/2018 BEEsharing: Using bees to produce more fruit and vegetables
- 09/18/2018 Trump slaps China with $200 billion of new tariffs
- 09/18/2018 UMS appointed by New Zealand Avocado to expand presence in China
- 09/18/2018 India: High import duties on US products delayed until November 2
- 09/18/2018 US: Michigan officials add insect & plant to ‘Invasives’ watch list
- 09/17/2018 Success of Agriculture Bill will be in the details, warns British Growers
- 09/17/2018 Positive news for growers within fruit fly control zones
- 09/17/2018 USDA restricts PACA Violators from operating in Produce Industry
- 09/14/2018 European Union president eyes free trade pact with Africa
- 09/14/2018 Turkish lira jumps after Central Bank ups rates
- 09/14/2018 Post-Brexit farm policy outlined in bill
- 09/14/2018 USDA restricts PACA violators from operating in produce industry
- 09/14/2018 APHIS: Final rule to expand notice-based process for import of fruit and veg
- 09/14/2018 New Venezuelan currency - Inflation already at 100%
- 09/13/2018 Venezuela eases currency controls
- 09/13/2018 "An eco-federal program does not make for a sustainable budget"
- 09/12/2018 Food Foundation responds to new Agriculture Bill
- 09/12/2018 Does Switzerland produce half of all the food it needs?
- 09/12/2018 Nedbank calls for clear and predictable legislative framework to address land reform