- Business Development Manager - LED Horticulture
- General Manager/Sales Manager - Mannum, South Australia
- Produce sales professionals
- Salesman - Vojvodina, North Serbia
- Internationaal Verkoper / Trader AGF - Barendrecht
- Production lab manager - Oregon, USA
- Verkoper Groothandelsmarkten - Rotterdam
- Procurement Executive - Middle East
- Experienced export manager looking for new opportunities
- Sales Executive Fruit & Exotics - Rotterdam
Top 5 -yesterday
- Togo to spend CFA478 million to boost its phytosanitary control and certification system
- British cabinet agrees on interim Brexit deal
- Brazil authorizes entry of Peruvian pomegranates
- Spain: Pitaya cultivation gaining ground in Malaga
- Australian avocado supply to be well supported by New Zealand this summer
Top 5 -last month
Top 5 -last week
- Nominations now being accepted for 2019 Retail Produce Manager Awards Program
- Italy: Whirlwind damages farms in central Italy
- Colombia has the most scale insects recorded on avocado worldwide
- US: Food and Drug Administration to beef up mandatory food recalls
- Pakistan markets full of seasonal pomegranates
Two things that all great brands have in common
Today, the world has changed, and many examples show that one can win in branding even without investing a lot of money.
So, where should you start if you want to build a successful product or food brand?
As it always happens, you should start from the basis: from the two things that every brand wishing to be successful should have.
The first thing is differentiation: your brand has to be perceived as different enough from the others by your target consumers. But differentiation by itself is not enough: the difference has to be relevant to buyers – in other words, your difference should allow the buyer to better reach their objectives than your competitors' brands.
The second thing is distinctiveness: your brand should not only be different, but it has to be designed (packaging, visuals, colours, etc) in a distinctive way, so it stands out on the supermarket shelves.
Differentiation and distinctiveness are nowadays equally important (well, some recent theories even come to the more extreme conclusion that distinctiveness is now more capable of explaining why a brand is successful, considering how difficult it is to differentiate brands in the modern world)
Truth is that differentiation and distinctiveness are completing each other, in the same way as substance and form, mind and body.
So, if you want to create a successful food or produce brand, first think about differentiation. Find a differentiating idea that separates your brand from the others, in a relevant way for buyers. In other words – first consider the substance, the mind.
And then - build on this idea – work on the form, on the visual, on the emotions. Create something that distinguishes your brand from the others so shoppers notice and remember your products when looking at the shelves.
Differentiation and distinctiveness: here is the winning combination that all the best food brands have in common.
If you are interested in fresh produce marketing, download the free e-book "Introduction to marketing for fresh produce"
Pisani Produce Marketing is a consulting agency for food and produce companies that want to sell more, at higher prices in Italy. It has been founded by Maurizio Pisani, former Chiquita and Fresh Del Monte executive.
For more info:
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2018-11-16 "Prepare for the worst, hope for the best"
- 2018-11-16 Canadian grocers & innovators want to save $31 billion in food from being dumped each year
- 2018-11-16 Opposition questions government relationship with Cavendish Farms
- 2018-11-16 ‘No workers, no fruit and veg’
- 2018-11-16 Brexit: May falters and the pound takes a hit
- 2018-11-16 Relationship between MPI and US facility now heading in the right direction
- 2018-11-16 European Union decides on binding CO2 reduction targets for trucks
- 2018-11-16 Committee gives green light for Constitutional amendment on land reform
- 2018-11-16 Agri SA blasts recommendation to amend Constitution
- 2018-11-15 US: Psyllid infestation found near Visalia
- 2018-11-15 British cabinet agrees on interim Brexit deal
- 2018-11-15 European Commission makes €191 million available to promote agri-food products
- 2018-11-15 Tehran denies claims of Iran-UAE trade problems
- 2018-11-14 Minister for Agriculture pays visit to new La Linea Verde facility in Serbia
- 2018-11-14 Mexico: "We have to diversify agricultural food trade with Asia"
- 2018-11-14 Brexit deal: Brits could remain in the customs union for longer
- 2018-11-14 USDA cites Frutera Del Litoral USA LLC in Florida for PACA violations
- 2018-11-14 Zimbabwe: Zim-China Wanjin Agriculture Company targets increased value addition
- 2018-11-13 EFSA expands simplified food safety management system
- 2018-11-13 Fedefruta visits the Chinese markets that receive Chilean fruit