Job offersmore »
- Senior Banana Ripener - Swords, North County Dublin
- Senior Manager, Technical Advisory and Category Management - Vantaa Finland
- Junior Trader Europe Division - Europe
- Account Manager, Southern, Protected Cropping - Melbourne, Australia
- Coördinator Biologische Gewasbescherming - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
- Head Grower, Retractable Roof Shadehouse - Wedgecarrup, Australia
- National Nursery Manager - Melbourne, Australia
- Lighting Applications Specialist (Horticulture) - Beamsville, Ontario, Canada
- Gärtner für den konventionellen Gemüsebau - Austria
- Expert vegetable farm manager/master grower seeking for his next position
Top 5 - yesterday
- "New melon programmes from Honduras are a nice addition"
- World Vegetable Map 2018: More than just a local affair
- Drones and laser labels for sustainable banana production
- An Australian first, blood oranges processed for Sicilian customers
- Mexico: Avocados from Jalisco will enter the US, regardless of what happens to the NAFTA
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Onion storage is key to shelf life, qualityFailure to adequately store onions can lead to 100 percent loss of a crop, it's extremely important to create optimal storage conditions. Those conditions are a product of temperature, humidity and the speed with which those two factors are modified, and a good dehumidifier can help with all of that.
“The quality and length of life of onions depends on three processes: drying, cold storage, defrosting and heating up to room temperature,” said Einav's Li-at Cohen. Einav Technologies manufactures dehumidifiers, and Cohen pointed out that their products help with each process.
“The drying process reduces the risk of decay and water loss and prevents infection of microorganisms and bacteria,” explained Cohen. That process entails cooling the onions to between 20 C and 30 C, reaching 70 percent relative humidity and doing so within 24 to 48 hours. If the relative humidity is higher, there's the possibility that onions will begin to germinate and grow. To prevent that, and to reach optimal storage conditions, Cohen recommended installing dehumidifiers based on a water condensation method, since they aren't affected by the large amounts of dust that often accumulate in storage spaces. He added that Einav has dehumidifiers with different operating methods to ensure complete control over temperature and humidity conditions.
“Humidity is actively tracked by a sophisticated control system developed by Einav Technologies,” said Cohen. “The system adjusts its performance to environmental conditions, ensuring the required humidity is maintained while at the same time affording considerable energy savings.”
For more information:
Li-at Cohen, Marketing & Business Development, Director
Einav Cooling Technologies Ltd
Tel: +97 77-344-5555
Mobile: +97 54 - 2555751
Publication date: 10/1/2013
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: