Job offersmore »
- Management Accountant - Portugal
- Outside Technical Sales Position, Horticulture - Canada
- Area Manager Russia
- Machine Operator Buitendienst
- Grower (cucumbers) - Australia
- Business Development Manager - The Netherlands
- Greenhouse Construction Workers - U.S.
- (Senior) Werkvoorbereider/Engineer Kas Plus - Netherlands
- International Account Manager - Netherlands
- Business Advisor - China
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- Dutch launch first ever foreign pepper brand in China
- Chile exhibited its fruit export offer in London
- TOMRA launches new food sorter user interface to improve work flow
- Maersk Line papaya shipment opens India to new markets
- Matthew Brigotti joins Idaho Potato Commission as Foodservice Promotion Director
Top 5 - last month
- Panama: President signs contract law between the State and Del Monte
- Hort Connections: 'Smart Packaging' is the way of the future
- Levarht launches China-produced tomatoes in retailers across the country
- Volm Companies and Wyma Solutions announce North American strategic partnership
- Italy: Natura Iblea's Paniere Bio initiative
Exchange ratesmore »
Good season for Taylor's Gold pearsENZA Taylorís Gold pears have added sparkle to The Oppenheimer Groupís imported pear line-up for a decade and a half, but this season promises to be among the best ever, according to David Nelley, the marketerís apple and pear category director.
Nelley, who has recently returned from New Zealand, anticipates excellent quality and size from this beautiful pear, which provides a distinct golden color break and the sweet, juicy eating qualities of Comice. Appreciated for its distinctive golden brown exterior, the Taylorís Gold often has a red blush on one cheek and is extremely juicy with creamy white flesh.
Nelley also noted that the Northwest pear supplies are lighter this year, opening the market up for a premium fresh-crop pear like Taylorís Gold.
Oppy is offering Taylorís Gold late April through July. The company plans a promotional push culminating in the announcement of the Taylorís Gold retailer of the year at Octoberís PMA Fresh Summit.
ďThe growers are up against a brutal exchange rate but they've done an excellent job, and Taylor's Gold is a pear worth celebrating,Ē Nelley said.
Each year, leading specialty mail-order company Harry and David of Medford, Ore. recognizes New Zealand's very best Taylor's Gold pear growers.
ďTaylor's Gold pears have become a signature item in their various fruit baskets and gifts over the last decade,Ē he said.
The 2013 Harry and David Cup, which honored the best quality of the 2012 season, was presented to Stephen and Joss Fry of Bridgeview Developments Limited in Nelson, New Zealand while Nelley visited in late March.
In addition to Taylorís Gold, Oppy will offer New Zealand grown Bosc, Comice, Honey Belle and Velvetine, as well as a range of Asian pears ó and the new and the exciting Papple ó this spring and summer.
For more information:
OPPY | THE OPPENHEIMER GROUP
Tel: +1 206 499 7440
Publication date: 4/30/2013
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: