Job offersmore »
- Engineer support in agricultural sciences - Switzerland
- Farm Manager - Perth, Western Australia
- Expansion manager
- Horticultural Specialist - Emeryville (CA) USA
- Sales Manager Europe Division
- Grower - Delta, (OH) USA
- Export Sales - Perth, Australia
- Production Manager Indonesia - Magelang/Central Java, Indonesia
- Director ASIA Research Station Operations - Bangkok, Thailand
- Spécialiste Technique et commercial Biocontrôle pour l’Ouest de la France
Top 5 - yesterday
- Eden Agri Citrus: black farmers assume majority share-holding in packhouse
- Canadian growers shake their heads at talk of boycotting US goods
- First ever red sweet onions out of Walla Walla
- New Zealand: Exclusive avocado access to Australia under threat
- German specialist extending shelf life without preservatives
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Good season for Taylor's Gold pearsENZA Taylor’s Gold pears have added sparkle to The Oppenheimer Group’s imported pear line-up for a decade and a half, but this season promises to be among the best ever, according to David Nelley, the marketer’s apple and pear category director.
Nelley, who has recently returned from New Zealand, anticipates excellent quality and size from this beautiful pear, which provides a distinct golden color break and the sweet, juicy eating qualities of Comice. Appreciated for its distinctive golden brown exterior, the Taylor’s Gold often has a red blush on one cheek and is extremely juicy with creamy white flesh.
Nelley also noted that the Northwest pear supplies are lighter this year, opening the market up for a premium fresh-crop pear like Taylor’s Gold.
Oppy is offering Taylor’s Gold late April through July. The company plans a promotional push culminating in the announcement of the Taylor’s Gold retailer of the year at October’s PMA Fresh Summit.
“The growers are up against a brutal exchange rate but they've done an excellent job, and Taylor's Gold is a pear worth celebrating,” Nelley said.
Each year, leading specialty mail-order company Harry and David of Medford, Ore. recognizes New Zealand's very best Taylor's Gold pear growers.
“Taylor's Gold pears have become a signature item in their various fruit baskets and gifts over the last decade,” he said.
The 2013 Harry and David Cup, which honored the best quality of the 2012 season, was presented to Stephen and Joss Fry of Bridgeview Developments Limited in Nelson, New Zealand while Nelley visited in late March.
In addition to Taylor’s Gold, Oppy will offer New Zealand grown Bosc, Comice, Honey Belle and Velvetine, as well as a range of Asian pears — and the new and the exciting Papple — this spring and summer.
For more information:
OPPY | THE OPPENHEIMER GROUP
Tel: +1 206 499 7440
Publication date: 4/30/2013
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: