Job offersmore »
- Produce Quality Control Manager - United Arab Emirates
- Finance Manager - Côte d’Ivoire
- Grower - Lambton Shores, ON, Canada
- Planning and Logistics Manager - Lambton Shores, ON, Canada
- Sales Specialist Leek - Diegem, Belgium
- Salesperson - Western New York
- Grower Business Manager for North America - Ohio
- Global Technical Grower Advisor Propagation
- Technisch Specialist Field Crops - The Netherlands
- Commercial Sales Representative for Hydroponic Growing Systems and Greenhouse Packages - Lodi, Ohio
Top 5 - yesterday
- "No grower programme, no supply" concerns Chinese importers
- "We are promoting Seeka as both a New Zealand and Australian company."
- Lidl becomes fastest growing grocer | Shoprite eyeing other continents
- Wild mushroom season from Eastern Europe in full swing
- Iran gives boosts to Pakistani mango exports
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Global Focus — Bananas
An inconvenient truth, the banana industry in Asia and the Philippines
A catastrophic dilemma is now lurking in the midst of Asia’s banana industry.The deadly Fusarium wilt (Panama wilt) Tropical Race 4 (TR4) disease has long emerged in China, Indonesia, Malaysia, Taiwan, and the Philippines. But of late, aggressive spread has been reported specifically in the Philippines and.....
Crop conversion is increasingly attractive
Ecuador: Banana producers feel pressured
According to Paul Gonzales, President of Machala's Agricultural Centre, banana producers are feeling suffocated; an indication that the conversion of crops is becoming an increasingly attractive option for small producers."This is terrible because the banana industry is the largest employer in the country.....
Ecuador exported 253 million boxes of bananas in 2013
Ecuador exported 253 million boxes of bananas, 5 million more than in 2012. This amount, however, didn’t meet the producers’ expectations, as they thought there would be a higher increase in sales during 2013.Last year’s banana exports are still lower than the peak reached in 2011, when exports amounted to.....
Peru: Coca crops to be replaced by banana crops
Over 180 former producers of coca, in nine communities of Supte, located in the region of Huanuco, will benefit from the delivery of 94,339 banana suckers that will be planted and used as temporary shade for cocoa and coffee crops.The National Commission for Development and Life without Drugs explained, in.....
Panama: New plantain varieties
Researchers at Panama's Agricultural Research Institute work on the propagation of healthy plants, germplasm conservation and various modern biotechnological techniques in order to improve the characteristics of food crops.The researchers are implementing a micro-propagation concept on Hawaiian Plantain.....
Larger volumes destined for Europe at all time
Brazilian banana sector expects good season
The year 2013 ended with strong growth and a diversified turnover for Brazilian bananas. This is thanks to favourable market conditions. If the predictions for 2014 remain on schedule then it looks good for the banana sector.Seces, the bureau of foreign trade, mentioned in statistics, that the export grew by.....
Italy: No dramatic changes expected in banana prices in the next few weeks
The decision of German retailer Aldi, who alone influences the price of bananas all over Europe, to lower the price to €14.21 in January-March 2014, together with the prospect of Del Monte replacing fruit from Ecuador with produce from Honduras, are worrying the Ecuadorian banana sector.FreshPlaza talked to.....