Job offersmore »
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Sales and Marketing Representative - Canada (British Columbia)
- Werken op een groene productie locatie in Afrika?
- Site Manager - UK
- Avocado Industry Data Analyst - Australia
- Assistant farm manager
- Plant breeder or molecular biologist (Denmark)
- Post-Harvest Senior Manager Required- Kenya
- Growing specialist Helda Beans & Peppers - Africa or Mediterranean area
- Product Development and R&D Engineer (Greenhouse and Equipment) - Canada
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Uganda: More greenhouses needed80% of Uganda's population is employed in the agriculture sector. Most of these people are smallhold farmers, who's operation are not sustainable. In recent year the government has been moving towards the restructuring of the sector, incorporating organic cultivation more widely and introducing more greenhouses to the landscape.
"We don't need a lot of space to practice sustainable agriculture. Green house farms are ideal since on a limited piece of land, one can plant different varieties of crops and keep harvesting all year irrespective of the season", said Abbey Kazibwe the director of Nsanja agro-chemicals limited a company that deals in agricultural pesticides, seeds and green houses during a green house farming demonstration held in Wakiso 17 kilometres west of Kampala.
Greenhouse farming is perfect for urban areas, as there is an abundance of water, but little available land.
"A farmer can get 4m ($1633) every harvest if the product is of quality', explains David Ndungu a sales man at Deruiter seeds company and a green house farmer in Kenya.
David focuses on tomato and cucumber cultivation, but peppers, onions and melons can just as easily be grown.
"The government should direct funds in agriculture modernization if they are to transform agriculture from small holder farmers to big farmer organizations", Kazibwe says.
Publication date: 7/24/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: