Job offersmore »
- Corporate Grower - Camarillo (CA), USA
- General Manager China - Kunming, China
- Buyer greenhouse crops - Almeria, Spain
- Trucking Fleet Manager - Azerbaijan
- Fresh Produce Traders Required for a Leading Dutch/UK Fresh Produce Business
- Key Accountmanager Horticulture Glass
- Product & Applicatie Specialist Opkweek
- Assistant Grower - Canada
- Experienced International Buyer/Seller Germany
- Project and Sales Manager - Russia/Caucasian Region
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Amazon: Steeper price cuts at Whole Foods Market
- Year-round produce for Canada’s most northern communities
- BILLA Online Shop: over 50% of the online shopping baskets contain fresh products
- Turkish tomato exports shot up 46% in October
- South Australia agricultural exports have increased due to new airlines
Exchange ratesmore »
Dutch company in British Sandwich Industry awards
NL: Rijk Zwaan’s open heart Cos nominated for awardThe British Sandwich Association (BSA) has nominated Open Heart Cos lettuce for the BSA Technical Excellence Award. The winner will be revealed on 17 May 2012. The solid veins in Open Heart cos, which has been developed by vegetable breeder Rijk Zwaan, make it ideal for use on sandwiches.
Open Heart cos is an open, green lettuce with solid ribs and long leaves of equal width. This new lettuce type offers significant advantages for all parties in the chain. Growers can harvest the leaves mechanically thanks to its open habit, and the product can be processed very efficiently. For retailers and consumers, meanwhile, the product’s solid veins result in a very sweet taste and a long shelf life. Sandwich manufacturer Greencore first learned about all of these benefits in the Rijk Zwaan demo field. Soon afterwards Greencore, Rijk Zwaan, growing company Valefresco and processing company Hazeldere entered into a successful chain cooperation. This resulted in Open Heart cos becoming a fundamental ingredient in many of Greencore’s sandwiches – which are sold by Marks & Spencer – and ultimately in the nomination for one of the Sammies awards.
Tasty and healthy sandwiches
Rijk Zwaan UK’s Country Manager Gerard van der Hut expresses his sense of pride at the nomination: "The unique thing about Open Heart cos is that so many product benefits come together in one single product. However, this success would never have been possible without the chain cooperation between the four motivated partners: we have shown that, by working together and sharing information, we can contribute to producing tasty and healthy sandwiches that perfectly match the wishes of both retailers and consumers. Our nomination confirms to us that we should continue to work in this way."
The Sammies awards are an initiative of the British Sandwich Association (BSA). The BSA Technical Excellence Award is designed to recognise the work being done by technologists to advance systems and working practices across the sandwich industry.
Ton van Leeuwen
Tel: +31 (0) 174 532 487
Publication date: 5/4/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: