Job offersmore »
- (Senior) Account manager USA
- Ein- und Verkäufer - Germany
- Banana Production Specialist / Agricultural Consultants Bananas -
- Senior Grower - United Kingdom
- Export Manager - Roermond, The Netherlands
- Production manager Pepper (FT) - Israel or the Netherlands
- Associate Breeder Cucumber (FT) - Haelen, the Netherlands
- Quality Assurance Manager - Australia
- Grower Manager - Australia
- Technical and Business Development Manager - Australia
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- Carrefour grows in Italy for first time in five years
- Joint initiative for Global Food Security through good agricultural practices
- Michelle Obama vows to quit 'French fries'
- Convenience singles out the most popular fruit and vegetables in UK
- Affordable cold chain solutions to protect valuable assets
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Interrupcion launches new program of Organic Fair Trade bananas
Interrupcion is a Fair Trade social enterprise working to improve producer livelihoods, practice environmental sustainability and foster a global community. The organization not only helps farms and cooperatives to become Organic and Fair Trade certified (free of charge), but also purchases and exports their fresh produce to the US market. Partnering with over 2,000 small to medium sized farms and cooperatives in South and Central America, interrupcion has directly impacted more than 10,000 full-time and temporary workers, their families and communities. In 2011 alone, sales of interrupcion* produce generated and delivered over $180,000 in fair trade premiums to producer groups in Argentina, Chile, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic and Ecuador.
In addition to working in pineapple, mango, plums, grapes, blackberries, raspberries, asparagus and avocadoes, interrupcion has been a pioneer in the responsible consumerism movement by independently establishing the first supplies of Fair Trade certified Argentine and Chilean conventional and organic blueberries, organic apples, organic pears, conventional cherries and conventional kiwis to the US market.
The associated farm, located in the El Oro province of Ecuador, is a cooperative that produces Organic and Fair Trade certified bananas for the international market. Committed to protecting worker health, consumer wellbeing and the earth since its establishment in 2004, the farm employs natural farming methods and cleans bananas with clean water instead of spraying synthetic pesticides and chemical fertilizers. Concern for worker rights and commitment to community development motivated the farm to meet Fair Trade standards in November 2011. Empowered workers carry out their tasks in safe, healthy conditions and decide together how to use fair trade premiums for the benefit of themselves as a group, their families and the community at large.
For more information:
Interrupcion Fair Trade
Tel: +1 718 417-4076
Publication date: 4/27/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: