Job offersmore »
- Assistant Grower - United States
- General Manager (Portugal)
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Sales and Marketing Representative - Canada (British Columbia)
- Werken op een groene productie locatie in Afrika?
- Site Manager - UK
- Avocado Industry Data Analyst - Australia
- Assistant farm manager
- Plant breeder or molecular biologist (Denmark)
- Post-Harvest Senior Manager Required- Kenya
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- South African navel exports from Eastern Cape possibly 50% down
- North American company selling Spanish cherries to Asian countries
- Saturated apple markets mean difficult year for South African exports
- “South African grapefruit arrives on empty market”
- “Asian vegetables are no longer a niche product”
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
India: All quiet at Asia's largest mango marketSo far the famous mango market of Nunna, Asia's largest, is not too busy this season. There are about 80 wholesale shops in the market and, ordinarily truckloads of the fruit are driven away for distribution in other states.
The market provides employment to hundreds of local people, so this year's season is causing concern.
Mohammad Iqbal, a fruit merchant, said the amount of business he has done so far this year is nothing compared to what he would usually have done. Some traders have even closed shops due to poor arrivals.
Nunna Mango Growers Association secretary S Venkateswara Rao is hopeful that the fruit business will pick up in the next fortnight.
The shortage of fruit is being blamed on the weather. There simply has nt been enough rainfall to generate sufficient mangoes - the result is a 40% decline in crop yields. That fruit that has been able to get to market is not of a good quality - the shape and size has been affected by the weather.
However, there is some good news to be had - those that have got some fruit are able to attract a very good price for it. The price per tonne of fruit ranges from Rs 15,000 to Rs 35,000 $293-$684 US) depending on its size, quality and variety.
Publication date: 4/6/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: