Job offersmore »
- (Senior) Account manager USA
- Ein- und Verkäufer - Germany
- Banana Production Specialist / Agricultural Consultants Bananas -
- Senior Grower - United Kingdom
- Export Manager - Roermond, The Netherlands
- Production manager Pepper (FT) - Israel or the Netherlands
- Associate Breeder Cucumber (FT) - Haelen, the Netherlands
- Quality Assurance Manager - Australia
- Grower Manager - Australia
- Technical and Business Development Manager - Australia
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- Carrefour grows in Italy for first time in five years
- Joint initiative for Global Food Security through good agricultural practices
- Convenience singles out the most popular fruit and vegetables in UK
- Michelle Obama vows to quit 'French fries'
- Affordable cold chain solutions to protect valuable assets
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
So far the famous mango market of Nunna, Asia's largest, is not too busy this season. There are about 80 wholesale shops in the market and, ordinarily truckloads of the fruit are driven away for distribution in other states.
The market provides employment to hundreds of local people, so this year's season is causing concern.
Mohammad Iqbal, a fruit merchant, said the amount of business he has done so far this year is nothing compared to what he would usually have done. Some traders have even closed shops due to poor arrivals.
Nunna Mango Growers Association secretary S Venkateswara Rao is hopeful that the fruit business will pick up in the next fortnight.
The shortage of fruit is being blamed on the weather. There simply has nt been enough rainfall to generate sufficient mangoes - the result is a 40% decline in crop yields. That fruit that has been able to get to market is not of a good quality - the shape and size has been affected by the weather.
However, there is some good news to be had - those that have got some fruit are able to attract a very good price for it. The price per tonne of fruit ranges from Rs 15,000 to Rs 35,000 $293-$684 US) depending on its size, quality and variety.
Publication date: 4/6/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: