Job offersmore »
- Sales/Purchase - Germany
- Manager Apple Orchard - Germany
- Technical Agronomy Support/Trainee Project Leader - Yorkshire, UK
- Assistant Grower - Tehachapi, CA
- General Manager - Tehachapi, CA
- Plant Specialist Horticulture - Netherlands / Poland / Ukraine / Finland
- Global Director City Farming - Netherlands
- Plant Specialist City Farms - Netherlands
- Quality Manager - Spain
- Spanish Speaking Operations/Warehouse Manager
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Record year at Fruit Logistica
- Gap between kiwi seasons bodes well for European suppliers
- NZ: "20-40% increase in Gold production is a real sign that we are coming out of the crisis.”
- "Patents on breakthrough innovations in seeds are the soul of sustainability"
- Driscoll’s takes berry experience to the next level
Exchange ratesmore »
Banana sales are good. The market is balanced, although with a clear downward trend. Around 0.80 Euro/Kg for the superior mature category.
For bananas, prices are stable throughout Europe, with a downward trend as well. West Indies (Martinique and
Guadalupe) are still under, around 0.70 Euro/kg. The rest of the bananas are around 0.83 Euro/kg in green quality marks.
Winter holidays, which have already finished this week, have had an influence on consumption. Yet, it will probably return to normal throughout Europe.
In Spain, a significant portion of banana consumers are changing to Canary plantain, given the escalating prices for bananas.
With cold snaps all the fruit is tending to rise slightly. For vegetables the rise is much higher and this is due to a shortage of products.
For other fruit: pears, golden apples (French and national) it remains the same, between 0.80 Euro/kg to 0.90 Euro/kg. (national) and just over 1.10 Euro/Kg (French). The Royal Gala and Fuji apples (red varieties) are 1.10 Euro/kg.
Pears are between 0.85 Euro/kg and 1.05 Euro/Kg
For kiwi, it has not been a particularly good year, its price is between 0.75 Euro/kg and 0.95 Euro/kg. In a few weeks, it is possible the first Chilean kiwis will arrive.
The recognized orange brands are between 0.70 Euro/kg to 0.85 Euro/kg. The rest are around 0.55 Euro/kg and smaller sizes are 0.30 Euro/Kg. So far it has been a disastrous year, up to the point that farmers have asked for an average of 0.09 Euro/kg.
The mandarin is now virtually not present, with late varieties of harder skin, like the Clemenville Variety. They are between 1 Euro/Kg to 1.20 Euro/Kg
The avocado is around 1.75 Euro/Kg of national or Chilean origin.
Plantain for frying is dropping, 0.35 Euro/kg.
Pineapples have gone up significantly. Del Monte pineapples are about 1.10 Euro/kg (maximum reference price) and 0.80 Euro/kg the rest.
Brazilian melons are being trade at around 0,85 Euro/kg
The overall consumption of all fruit is rather still.When a product's price goes up the consumer responds and consumption slows almost immediately.
It should be noted that the overload of fruit from Gran Canaria is depending on a Peninsular operator (mainly for bananas, not Spanish) motivating the market to be forced to give in to the price little by little, week by week.
The saturation of bananas in stock and stored in chambers of the Del Monte brand which continues to develop a strong niche in the Spanish market is very important.
Publication date: 3/14/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: