Job offersmore »
- Hydroponic Crop Manager - Tahiti
- Manager Operational Excellence - El Salvador
- Area Manager North Europe - The Netherlands
- Senior Veredelaar Bloemen
- Consultant - Head of Sales or Greenhouse Owner
- Consultant - Head Grower of Greenhouse
- IPM Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Labor Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Assistant Farm Manager - Australia
- New Product Development Assistant Manager
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
- Kenya overtakes South Africa to become Africa's biggest exporter of avocados
- Italy: 150 million euros confiscated from fruit and veg Mafiosi
- “Drop in Turkish lira is making us a lot more money”
- “We recognize the different specifications our customers are looking for”
- California labor shortage drives container growing for berries
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Teen sells watermelons to pay his way through police collegeDon't let your dreams be dreams. An 18-year-old teen from east China's Zhejiang Province took this to heart. The boy plans to sell 3,500kg of watermelon during the summer to earn 14,000 yuan (US$2,052) for college tuition, China Central Television reported.
Li Enhui is known as “watermelon boy” and was adopted 18 years ago. He grew up in a poor family, has always dreamt about becoming a policeman and was successfully enrolled by Zhejiang Police College this year with skill grades ranking him third, plus total grades making him the 50th best in the province.
Earning his tuition is nothing new for Li. He's been earning his own keep to pay for school and living expenses since he began senior high school. He has worked as a kitchen helper, dishwasher and deliveryman.
Li starts selling his watermelons around 7am every day and is currently capable of making a little over one hundred yuan from his daily sales. He has already amassed more than 8,000 yuan.
He has refused cash donations and insisted on making money himself — he appreciates people buying watermelon from him and those volunteers who offer him a helping hand.
Li said he will be a good policeman in the future to pay society back.
Publication date: 8/9/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: