Job offersmore »
- Account-Manager - Wickede/Ruhr, Germany
- Grower for pot plant production - Tönisvorst - Germany
- Assistant Grower & Growers - Ohio, USA
- Fruit & vegetables Export-Import manager - Avignon or Perpignan, France
- Area Manager North Europe - Netherlands
- Area Sales Manager Oost Europa - Netherlands
- Benelux Sales Manager - Grow lights, Holland
- Productie Manager - Ethiopia
- Head of Sales Europe
- Engineer support in agricultural sciences - Switzerland
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Mexico: Yucatan will send up to 500 tons of pitahaya to the US
According to the state head of the National Service of Health, Food Safety and Quality (Senasica), Eduardo Perera Cuevas, Mexico, including different municipal communities of Yucatan, such as Tekax, Yobain, Tixmehuac and Dzidzantun, expects to export 400 to 500 tons of pitahaya to the United States.
He also said they had achieved exporting the first 850 kilograms of this product to Europe this year, and that they expected to make more exports in the future, as they were working to open new markets in Asia, mainly in China and Vietnam, among other countries.
The pitahaya exported to the US is harvested and packed in Yucatan, then it is treated against the fruit fly in San Luis Potosi, from where it is sent to the United States.
The pitahaya season began a month ago and it will end in October; production cuts are every 28 days, according to the Senasica.
Domestic and foreign production
The states with authorized plantations are Puebla, Guanajuato, and Sinaloa. Even though producers are looking to send this fruit to Vietnam, it is worth noting that there are orchards in the country that are working with artificial light, however, nobody in Yucatan has conducted a study on how this impacts the fruit. There are 129 hectares registered for export.
Publication date: 7/5/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: