- Flower Bulb and Perennial Sales Position - Portland (Oregon) USA
- Plant Production Scientist - Brooklyn (NY) USA
- Greenhouse Assistant Grower - Abbotsford (B.C.) Canada
- Technical Sales Representative - South Western Ontario, Canada
- Farm Manager - West Africa
- Managing Agronomist - Surinam
- Vegetal Material Programme Leader - Cisterna di Latina (Latium), Italy
- Head of Sales North America - Sacramento (CA) USA
- Inkoop Specialist Holland Product - Netherlands
- Vegetable Grower - Australia
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last month
Top 5 -last week
Ultra-thin MA film seeks to revolutionize packaging
Shay Zeltzer of Postharvest Hub (www.postharvesthub.com) has been around MAP since the mid 90's, developing packaging and implementing postharvest best practice wherever fresh produce has been handled, farms, packing houses throughout the logistic chain to the retail. His recent project conducted with R.O.P (www.rop-ltd.com) led to the development of the revolutionary Ultra-thin MA film that was tested for pomegranate and broccoli, addressing the challenges that still exist with MAP – Packaging cost, operations and environmental impact.
By the way, the new packaging developed also added to the food safety and performance of the packaging preserving the conditions of the produce within. "Often times you'd see packing houses where an employee is busy placing bags into carton, opening them and stacking it to save time for the packers that would later on fill these bags with produce," says Zeltzer. "Piles of cartons with bags open in it are evident in warehouses before and during the packing season. This practice potentially has negative impact for several reasons, it allows germs and fungus to rest in the open bag during the time it 'waits' to be filled and it is also costly requires an additional labor employed to prepare the bags in the cartons."
The packaging developed, Ultra-thin MA film, is either manually wrapped around the produce in bulk packaging application or alternatively machine-wrapped around a single produce item (broccoli, cauliflower, melon, cabbage etc.) in retail packaging form.
In a recent study conducted in Israel, pomegranate's freshness and appealing presentation was preserved for over 4 months using R.O.P's Ultra-thin MA film. "The packing material is provided in a roll-stock. The film is pulled over the carton first like a sheet over a bed, the pomegranate is then place packed after which the film is trimmed and wrapped around the whole content of the box, forming an air-tight sealed packaging," explains Zeltzer.
"The ability to extrude multilayer film that is so thin yet uniform in its gauge (12 microns or 0.47 mil), which is still durable and has superior humidity management attributes is not at all trivial", adds Dr. Wentao Gia, ROP's polymer technologist. "This film presents a revolution in the industry as it cuts over 50% of the packaging material used compare to other existing bulk packaging."
"We're testing derivatives of the film for other commodities expecting to release packaging solutions for cherries, stone fruits and avocado during 2018", concludes Zeltzer.
For more information:
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 09/21/2018 Small traders’ revenue drops as shoppers avoid plastic packaging
- 09/20/2018 HOFER discounter launches offensive to reduce packaging waste
- 09/18/2018 “Sorting Brussels sprouts optically halves staff needed”
- 09/18/2018 New wok and oven vegetable packs at Albert Heijn
- 09/17/2018 Turning waste products into bioplastics
- 09/17/2018 Waitrose to have loose fruit and vegetable plastic bags removed by spring 2019
- 09/13/2018 Plastic waste almost beats pricing
- 09/13/2018 Iceland to stop selling plastic-packaged bananas
- 09/13/2018 New packaging law applies starting 01.01.2019
- 09/13/2018 Sun World moves packing operations in-house
- 09/12/2018 Potatoes as potato packaging
- 09/12/2018 ''CartoPaper is the sustainable potato packaging for large packers''
- 09/11/2018 Alternative packaging for food made from palm leaves
- 09/06/2018 Are retailers relying too much on plastic packaging?
- 09/06/2018 Aldi announces next step in phasing out plastic packaging for fruit & veg
- 09/06/2018 New packaging solution for Sweet Heart grapes
- 09/05/2018 California grape grower announces launch of top seal packaging
- 09/05/2018 Ellips-Elisam takes over JDC's optical sorter sales activities
- 09/04/2018 First compostable top seal strawberry punnet launched
- 08/31/2018 Pouch bag for watermelon slices launched