Job offersmore »
- Account-Manager - Wickede/Ruhr, Germany
- Grower for pot plant production - Tönisvorst - Germany
- Assistant Grower & Growers - Ohio, USA
- Fruit & vegetables Export-Import manager - Avignon or Perpignan, France
- Area Manager North Europe - Netherlands
- Area Sales Manager Oost Europa - Netherlands
- Benelux Sales Manager - Grow lights, Holland
- Productie Manager - Ethiopia
- Head of Sales Europe
- Engineer support in agricultural sciences - Switzerland
Top 5 - yesterday
- NY cherry growers could harvest sweet profits with tall greenhouses
- Greenyard estimates damage of recall at 30 million Euros
- Enormous turnout makes for highly successful Organic Produce Summit
- Looking inside the packing house of a California avocado grower-shipper
- Socially conscious blueberry program links consumers with farmers
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Growing wasabi in a greenhouse
Japanese Wasabi is one of the world’s rarest and most valuable exotic vegetables and has been used with traditional dishes such as sushi, sashimi and soba noodles for centuries. The plant is a semi-aquatic herb which evolved along the edges of mountain streams in Japan. Its need for very specific cold climatic conditions ranks it amongst the world’s most difficult crops to grow.
The Australian company Shima Wasabi produces Japanese wasabi products. The company offers wasabi powder for home use; wasabi for the restaurant industry in Australia, including wasabi stems, leaves, baby leaves, flower stems, and leaf stalks, as well as graters for chefs; concentrated pure wasabi spice powders for the burgeoning. In 2016, the company is owned by TasFoods Limited.
Visiting the greenhouse
Shima Wasabi has been around for over 12 years and is now the largest producer of fresh wasabi in the Southern Hemisphere. As part of their "Meet The Grower" campaign, the team of Sydney Direct Fresh Produce recently took a trip to Tasmania to visit the company. Sydney Direct Fresh Produce is a fruit and vegetable wholesaler based in Sydney and owner Luke Kohler is always on the hunt to find unique and top quality fruit and vegetables for his customers. "Our good friend and top chef Massimo Mele joined us for the adventure and to cook up some dishes from our findings."
Shima Wasabi utilises climate-controlled greenhouses and a unique hydroponic production system to produce premium-quality fresh wasabi all year round, which rivals the very best quality wasabi found in Japan. Shima Wasabi is proudly an Australian-owned and operated company. All their wasabi products are 100% pure, authentic Japanese wasabi, grown on the farm in the pristine waters and climate of Tasmania.
For more information:
Head Office : (02) 4731 6911
UNIT 12 / 10,
Publication date: 4/12/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: