- Flower Bulb and Perennial Sales Position - Portland (Oregon) USA
- Plant Production Scientist - Brooklyn (NY) USA
- Greenhouse Assistant Grower - Abbotsford (B.C.) Canada
- Technical Sales Representative - South Western Ontario, Canada
- Farm Manager - West Africa
- Managing Agronomist - Surinam
- Vegetal Material Programme Leader - Cisterna di Latina (Latium), Italy
- Head of Sales North America - Sacramento (CA) USA
- Inkoop Specialist Holland Product - Netherlands
- Vegetable Grower - Australia
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last month
- "The Chilean blueberry will have to face growing threats"
- Turkey: Potato and onion harvest at full speed in Yozgat
- New campaign promotes Greenskin avocados
- Mango provides additional relief from chronic constipation
- Seed Industry Event to offer perspective on making the most of the market after Brexit
Top 5 -last week
- Colombian woman arrested for coordinating shipments of cocaine hidden in fruit
- Positive news for growers within fruit fly control zones
- Aldi announces two-year deal with Carlow-based mushroom growers
- "First Spanish mandarins eagerly snatched up after messy overseas season"
- Japan suffering from serious shortage of vegetables
Germany: 733,900 tonnes of wild carrots and carrots were harvested in 2017
After wild carrots and carrots, onions with 541,400 tons and white cabbage with 478,700 tons showed next highest yields. In total, around 3,770,300 tons of vegetables were harvested from outdoors in 2017 (+ 7% compared to 2016).
The largest acreage in 2017 was once again used for asparagus with 28,400 hectares, which represents an increase of almost 5% compared to the previous year. This was followed by wild carrots and carrots with 12,500 hectares and onions with 11,800 hectares. The total outdoor vegetable crop area increased by 7% to 128,900 hectares compared to 2016.
The greenhouse acreage and that for cultivation under high protective covers increased by 4% in 2017 compared to the previous year. On the approximately 1,300 hectares, 182,100 tons of vegetables were harvested. The largest crops of this type were 370 hectares of tomatoes, 220 hectares of cucumbers and 210 hectares of corn salad.
The yield of outdoor vegetables from farms that manage their land fully organically increased by 12% compared with 2016 to 319,100 tonnes. This was an 8% share of the total of vegetables harvested in the field. The acreage increased by 11% over the same period, to 13,700 hectares, accounting for 11% of the total acreage of outdoor vegetables.
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 09/24/2018 First PlanetProof Tommies cherry tomatoes on the shelves at Jumbo supermarkets
- 09/24/2018 “Ninety per cent of our lettuce is shipped via air cargo nowadays”
- 09/24/2018 "Profit margins for root vegetables and cabbage specialties are getting bigger every year''
- 09/24/2018 Grower introduces new mesh bags for Peruvian organic ginger
- 09/24/2018 ''Need for old vegetables in convenience form is definitely here''
- 09/21/2018 Vegetable price drops nearly 30%
- 09/21/2018 Japan suffering from serious shortage of vegetables
- 09/21/2018 Lighter demand for rhubarb this season is against trend
- 09/21/2018 UK vegetable whisperer strokes his leeks to help them grow
- 09/21/2018 How does a pepper travel from the farm to your plate?
- 09/21/2018 Kim Jong Un presents South Korea with two tons of Pine mushrooms
- 09/21/2018 Dwindling California asparagus industry takes another blow
- 09/21/2018 Italy: Violì artichokes
- 09/20/2018 "Cabbage industry has some windfalls again, after difficult years''
- 09/20/2018 China's annual output of peppers is 40 million tons
- 09/20/2018 How cauliflower took over your pizza, your kitchen, and the world
- 09/19/2018 Australia: Costa Adelaide Mushrooms expansion progressing at Monarto
- 09/19/2018 "Higher autumn prices won't compensate for poor eggplant season"
- 09/19/2018 Large pumpkins may be in short supply
- 09/18/2018 "Demand market for cabbage"