Job offersmore »
- Engineer support in agricultural sciences - Switzerland
- Farm Manager - Perth, Western Australia
- Expansion manager
- Horticultural Specialist - Emeryville (CA) USA
- Sales Manager Europe Division
- Grower - Delta, (OH) USA
- Export Sales - Perth, Australia
- Production Manager Indonesia - Magelang/Central Java, Indonesia
- Director ASIA Research Station Operations - Bangkok, Thailand
- Spécialiste Technique et commercial Biocontrôle pour l’Ouest de la France
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Ecuador: Unsure about effects new banana plantationsA recent proposal to increase the number of new banana plantations in the Ecuadorian province of El Oro (the main producer and exporter of this fruit) has created concern about the surpluses that may result.
This was certainly the viewpoint of Assemblyman Carlos Falquez Batallas (PSC), who rejected the possible proliferation of new plantings by pointing out that it would be detrimental to the Oranian banana activity and the country.
He documented that the growth of banana plantations would bring an uncontrolled surplus. “This would particularly affect small and medium producers who would be forced to sell their banana plantations to the big producers, generating a serious social and economic problem in El Oro and the country,” said the assemblyman.
According to ecuadortimes.net, he added to this that the greater number of banana plantations in Ecuador would create a monoculture, which would generate a serious increase in diseases and pests.
Publication date: 2/23/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: