- Flower Bulb and Perennial Sales Position - Portland (Oregon) USA
- Plant Production Scientist - Brooklyn (NY) USA
- Greenhouse Assistant Grower - Abbotsford (B.C.) Canada
- Technical Sales Representative - South Western Ontario, Canada
- Farm Manager - West Africa
- Managing Agronomist - Surinam
- Vegetal Material Programme Leader - Cisterna di Latina (Latium), Italy
- Head of Sales North America - Sacramento (CA) USA
- Inkoop Specialist Holland Product - Netherlands
- Vegetable Grower - Australia
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last month
Top 5 -last week
14th International Berlin Potato Evening
The President of the World Potato Congress, Romain Cools, greets the guests of the 14th International Berlin Potato Evening. (Source: DKHV)
In his opening speech, DKHV President Thomas Herkenrath called for more attention to discussions on food and agriculture. "Potatoes are an important staple food and can best meet the high ethical demands of consumers and their desire for a healthy diet in cultivation, processing and distribution. The potato industry only has to present itself more self-confidently to the public in order to be perceived more positively by the consumer. This means listening carefully and analyzing the worries, fears and needs of our customers. We constantly have to question ourselves and openly and critically review our production processes in terms of sustainability and necessity. Even though our potato accounts for only a small share of the total agricultural production area, we also bear great responsibility for future generations," said Herkenrath.
For example, many of the DKHV in the past year member companies have focused their activities on the preservation of biodiversity. Flower beds, insect hotels or orchards are valuable measures for this purpose. Herkenrath pointed out that the potato industry has achieved great success: After years of declining potato consumption, sales increased by 1.6% in 2017 compared to the previous year. The work of Kartoffelmarketing GmbH -founded in 2015 through an initiative of the German Potato Trade Association- has contributed significantly to this. And it has taken many successful measures to promote the image of the potato. Herkenrath warmly welcomed the President of the World Potato Congress (WPC), Romain Cools. He was the first European to be elected to this position. The 10th World Potato Congress in Peru, the birthplace of the potato, has the motto ‘A glimpse into the future of the potato: biodiversity, food safety and business’ and offers a comprehensive professional, discussion and excursion program.
Cools cordially invited all European attendees to partake in this extraordinary event in the Cuzco region. And many guests expressed their anticipation of the 15th International Potato Evening, which will take place on February 5, 2019 in Berlin.
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 09/21/2018 ‘All preconditions for potatoes export to EU market fulfilled’
- 09/21/2018 Potato prices soar in Spain
- 09/21/2018 TAAT sweet potato compact launched in Accra
- 09/21/2018 US Market and Crop update onions
- 09/20/2018 US potatoes - 2017 Summary
- 09/20/2018 "Potato markets supported by confirmation of low yields throughout Western Europe"
- 09/19/2018 US: Truck with no brakes spills onions near Paterson
- 09/19/2018 Uganda: Sweet potato porridge hits supermarket shelves
- 09/18/2018 Market and Crop Update for September 13, 2018
- 09/18/2018 International potato sales highest ever for the United States
- 09/18/2018 France: "Surfaces planted with traditional shallots in decline"
- 09/17/2018 Potato Europe 2018: Focus on seeds, machinery and storage technology
- 09/17/2018 Turkey: Potato harvest kicks off harvest in Bolu
- 09/17/2018 "France and Belgium are positioning themselves on dual-use varieties"
- 09/17/2018 India: Nafed to begin disposal of 13k tons of buffer onion stock
- 09/14/2018 Turkey: High productivity for potato harvest in Bitlis
- 09/14/2018 Turkey: Onion harvest has started in Bandirma
- 09/14/2018 Germany faces potato shortage after record hot, dry summer
- 09/14/2018 "Calmer atmosphere on the Dutch markets"
- 09/14/2018 "Luckily we made some headway with bale prices"