Job offersmore »
- Account Manager Foodservice en Groothandel DACH - Netherlands
- Business Development Manager - California
- Head of Sales North America - Sacramento (CA) USA
- Import Assistant and Operations Assistant - Netherlands
- Farms Director UK - South East
- Agronomist to work abroad
- Export salesperson GERMANY - Barcelona, Spain
- Account Manager Zachtfruit Scandinavië en Duitsland - Netherlands
- International Editor
- Experienced tomato grower - Angola
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Philippines banana output up nearly 3 percent in 2017According to the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA), the country’s 2017 banana production grew by almost 3 percent to 9.166 million tons, from the 2016 record of 8.903 million tons. Output in the fourth quarter of 2017 alone grew by 3.15 percent to 2.409 million tons (from 2.335 million tons in the same period in 2016).
“Banana production was up this year because of increases in acreage, extra output from the plantations in Northern Mindanao and additional cultivation from corporate farms in the Soccsksargen region; all in response to higher demand.” the PSA said.
Pineapple farmers, according to the PSA, produced 2.671 million tons in 2017; up 2.27 percent from previous year’s 2.612 million tons. During period October-December, pineapple production reached 699,220 million tons, 2.95 percent up from 2016. The Business Mirror quoted the PSA saying: “In the case of pineapples, additional areas harvested from corporate farms in Northern Mindanao and Soccsksargen led to the 2.95 percent increase in production.”
However, the country’s total mango production last year declined by almost 10 percent to 737,030 million tons, from the 2016 record of 817,050 million tons. The PSA attributed this to farmers in Zamboanga Peninsula and Northern Mindanao being discouraged from conducting flower induction activities because of intermittent rains during the crop’s flowering stage.
Publication date: 2/12/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: