Job offersmore »
- Hydroponic Crop Manager - Tahiti
- Manager Operational Excellence - El Salvador
- Area Manager North Europe - The Netherlands
- Senior Veredelaar Bloemen
- Consultant - Head of Sales or Greenhouse Owner
- Consultant - Head Grower of Greenhouse
- IPM Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Labor Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Assistant Farm Manager - Australia
- New Product Development Assistant Manager
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
- Kenya overtakes South Africa to become Africa's biggest exporter of avocados
- Italy: 150 million euros confiscated from fruit and veg Mafiosi
- “Drop in Turkish lira is making us a lot more money”
- “We recognize the different specifications our customers are looking for”
- California labor shortage drives container growing for berries
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Philippines banana output up nearly 3 percent in 2017According to the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA), the country’s 2017 banana production grew by almost 3 percent to 9.166 million tons, from the 2016 record of 8.903 million tons. Output in the fourth quarter of 2017 alone grew by 3.15 percent to 2.409 million tons (from 2.335 million tons in the same period in 2016).
“Banana production was up this year because of increases in acreage, extra output from the plantations in Northern Mindanao and additional cultivation from corporate farms in the Soccsksargen region; all in response to higher demand.” the PSA said.
Pineapple farmers, according to the PSA, produced 2.671 million tons in 2017; up 2.27 percent from previous year’s 2.612 million tons. During period October-December, pineapple production reached 699,220 million tons, 2.95 percent up from 2016. The Business Mirror quoted the PSA saying: “In the case of pineapples, additional areas harvested from corporate farms in Northern Mindanao and Soccsksargen led to the 2.95 percent increase in production.”
However, the country’s total mango production last year declined by almost 10 percent to 737,030 million tons, from the 2016 record of 817,050 million tons. The PSA attributed this to farmers in Zamboanga Peninsula and Northern Mindanao being discouraged from conducting flower induction activities because of intermittent rains during the crop’s flowering stage.
Publication date: 2/12/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: