Job offersmore »
- Hydroponic Crop Manager - Tahiti
- Manager Operational Excellence - El Salvador
- Area Manager North Europe - The Netherlands
- Senior Veredelaar Bloemen
- Consultant - Head of Sales or Greenhouse Owner
- Consultant - Head Grower of Greenhouse
- IPM Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Labor Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Assistant Farm Manager - Australia
- New Product Development Assistant Manager
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
- Kenya overtakes South Africa to become Africa's biggest exporter of avocados
- Italy: 150 million euros confiscated from fruit and veg Mafiosi
- “Drop in Turkish lira is making us a lot more money”
- “We recognize the different specifications our customers are looking for”
- California labor shortage drives container growing for berries
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Peru plans to export 25% more bananas this year
The president of the National Banana Board (JNB), Valentin Ruiz Delgado, stated that Peru would export 10,400 containers of bananas in 2018 (200 containers per week), i.e. 25% more than the 8,320 containers it shipped in the previous year (160 containers per week).
According to Ruiz Delgado, this increase would be due to the recovery of banana plantations that were affected by the coastal El Niño.
"The plantations are recovering from the aftermath caused by the coastal El Niño, which caused plant stress, growth retardation, early ripening, root rot, and even the fall of plants," he said.
He also stated that the main destination markets for the Peruvian bananas were the United States, Germany, Holland, Belgium, Russia, and Japan, among others.
In addition, he said, the Peruvian bananas are entering more markets in Asia, especially in China and Taiwan.
Valentin Ruiz also stressed that the country needed to ensure the availability of water resources to develop the banana sector. Farmers irrigate their fields every two months but if they would increase production yields if they irrigate them every 20 days, he said.
"There are projects to continue increasing the area devoted to bananas in Piura but to do this we must first ensure the availability of water," he concluded.
Publication date: 2/6/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: