Job offersmore »
- Department Chair and Professor of Human Ecology - Davis (CA) USA
- Factory Manager Assistant - Huizhou, China
- Internal Salesperson - Netherlands
- Crop Manager - Northern France
- Farm General Manager - Egypt
- Grower (cucumbers) - Australia
- Projectleider Export - Maasdijk, Nederland
- Sales representative - Eastern PA, DE, MD, VA & WV, USA
- Sales representative - Michigan, USA
- Assistant Grower - Delta (BC), Canada
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Vietnam post-harvest losses hinder exportAs Vietnam currently has little in the way of post-harvest technology or machinery, post-harvest losses are substantial. These losses not only refer to the quantity of lost crops, but also to the reduction in quality and access to international markets.
Some 70% of Vietnamís export fruit and vegetables are going to China, most of them fresh and unprocessed. Few of Vietnamís fruit and vegetable exports went to South Korea, Japan, the United States or the European Union because of Vietnamís limitations in storing and post-harvest processing.
According to the Food and Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations, Vietnamís post-harvesting losses accounted for 10 % of rice production, 10-20 % of root and tuber crops, and 10-30 % of fruit and vegetables.
An article by vietnamnews.vn explains how in the Mekong Delta region Ė a major rice bowl for Vietnam, post-harvest rice losses were more than VNĐ 3 trillion ($ 132 million) a year, or 10-12 % of total rice production.
Publication date: 1/29/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: