Job offersmore »
- Department Chair and Professor of Human Ecology - Davis (CA) USA
- Factory Manager Assistant - Huizhou, China
- Internal Salesperson - Netherlands
- Crop Manager - Northern France
- Farm General Manager - Egypt
- Grower (cucumbers) - Australia
- Projectleider Export - Maasdijk, Nederland
- Sales representative - Eastern PA, DE, MD, VA & WV, USA
- Sales representative - Michigan, USA
- Assistant Grower - Delta (BC), Canada
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
New Zealand is great for growing bananas (and hemp)While bananas are the fourth most important food crop in the world - after rice, corn and wheat - they are not often associated with New Zealand. This nation imports more than $220 million worth of bananas from the Philippines and Ecuador, says Trevor Mills. He reckons if the industry took off in New Zealand, the "import substitution makes good economic sense."
Mills is hoping to change the New Zealand banana situation by co-ordinating the introduction of a commercial banana growing industry in the East Coast and Wairoa areas through the company Tai Pukenga.
According to the NZ Herald, Tai Pukenga not only deals with bananas. The company is also into its third season of growing hemp in the region and supplies seeds to the local craft brewery. This had led to a very successful product for the Sunshine Brewery in the form of hemp beer.
Trevor Mills was interviewed by The Country, speaking about the many uses for and products made from hemp.
Click here for the article and the audio interview down below.
Publication date: 1/24/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: