Job offersmore »
- Hydroponic Crop Manager - Tahiti
- Manager Operational Excellence - El Salvador
- Area Manager North Europe - The Netherlands
- Senior Veredelaar Bloemen
- Consultant - Head of Sales or Greenhouse Owner
- Consultant - Head Grower of Greenhouse
- IPM Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Labor Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Assistant Farm Manager - Australia
- New Product Development Assistant Manager
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- Significant increase of Egyptian agricultural exports to Russia
- ROP's modified atmosphere (MA) bulk liner and ROP's MA Ultra-thin film
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL TABLE GRAPE MARKET
- WAPA: EU expects biggest apple harvest in 10 years
- Indiana Troopers find 1 million dollars worth of marijuana stashed with lettuce
Top 5 - last month
- Second season for Idaho's only commercial blueberry grower
- Wawona acquires stone fruit breeding operations of Burchell Nursery
- AU: New fully recyclable packaging set to take fresh produce industry by storm
- Walmart: purchase of Perimercados, Super Compro and Saretto
- New Transatlantic route brings huge vessels to Port of Liverpool
Exchange ratesmore »
New Zealand is great for growing bananas (and hemp)While bananas are the fourth most important food crop in the world - after rice, corn and wheat - they are not often associated with New Zealand. This nation imports more than $220 million worth of bananas from the Philippines and Ecuador, says Trevor Mills. He reckons if the industry took off in New Zealand, the "import substitution makes good economic sense."
Mills is hoping to change the New Zealand banana situation by co-ordinating the introduction of a commercial banana growing industry in the East Coast and Wairoa areas through the company Tai Pukenga.
According to the NZ Herald, Tai Pukenga not only deals with bananas. The company is also into its third season of growing hemp in the region and supplies seeds to the local craft brewery. This had led to a very successful product for the Sunshine Brewery in the form of hemp beer.
Trevor Mills was interviewed by The Country, speaking about the many uses for and products made from hemp.
Click here for the article and the audio interview down below.
Publication date: 1/24/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: