Job offersmore »
- Import Assistant and Operations Assistant - Netherlands
- Farms Director UK - South East
- Agronomist to work abroad
- Export salesperson GERMANY - Barcelona, Spain
- Account Manager Zachtfruit Scandinavië en Duitsland - Netherlands
- International Editor
- Experienced tomato grower - Angola
- Sales Area Managers - Czech Republic, Eastern Europe, Portugal
- Chief Operations Officer - Deerfield (MA) USA
- LED strategic account manager - Netherlands
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Due to local shortage:
Kenya bans export of avocadosThe Kenyan government has banned the export of avocados because of a severe shortage of the fruit in the country. Through the Directorate of Horticulture, Agriculture and Food Authority has now banned the export of the fruit that has become a favourite in many Kenyan dishes.
The shortages have resulted in increases of the fruit’s price. According to a citizentv.co.ke article; “The average price of a 90-kilogramme bag of avocado shot up to Sh 2,560 (20.36 euros) in December, the highest price level of this commodity since May 2014, when a bag was selling for slightly above Sh 2,700 (21.48 euros).”
The Agriculture and Food Authority has also attributed the shortage to the off-season of the most popular avocado varieties; Fuerte and Haas. The Fuerte variety will start getting to the market next month, the Hass will be in supply in March. This will most likely bridge the current deficit and reverse prices to previous levels.
Publication date: 1/23/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: