Job offersmore »
- Hydroponic Crop Manager - Tahiti
- Manager Operational Excellence - El Salvador
- Area Manager North Europe - The Netherlands
- Senior Veredelaar Bloemen
- Consultant - Head of Sales or Greenhouse Owner
- Consultant - Head Grower of Greenhouse
- IPM Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Labor Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Assistant Farm Manager - Australia
- New Product Development Assistant Manager
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
- Kenya overtakes South Africa to become Africa's biggest exporter of avocados
- Italy: 150 million euros confiscated from fruit and veg Mafiosi
- “Drop in Turkish lira is making us a lot more money”
- “We recognize the different specifications our customers are looking for”
- California labor shortage drives container growing for berries
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Difficult sprout season
André Noordhoek from Bleiswijk is calling this a difficult season for sprouts. "The prices are still reasonable but the quality is struggling at the moment due to thrips. There are a lot of rejections. Parties then have to be sold for a lower price." André is one of the bigger sprout growers in the Netherlands and arranges his own sales as well as those of a few other local growers.
Most Dutch sprout growers are affected by thrips and don't have the means at hand to fight them. "Thrips are occurring among growers from the Flevopolder to Limburg, where most growers are located. Good sprouts are hard to find." André's main concern is that countries within the EU have different norms for crop protection agents. "Belgian and English growers are allowed to use pesticides that are banned in the Netherlands. Sprouts treated with these substances can still be sold in the Netherlands. I believe it should all be equal, especially within the EU."
The Dutch sprout season will run until the end of February, estimates André. "I don't see the situation improving, it will get worse first."
For more information:
T: 0031 (0) 10-5212629
Publication date: 1/19/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: