Job offersmore »
- Hydroponic Crop Manager - Tahiti
- Manager Operational Excellence - El Salvador
- Area Manager North Europe - The Netherlands
- Senior Veredelaar Bloemen
- Consultant - Head of Sales or Greenhouse Owner
- Consultant - Head Grower of Greenhouse
- IPM Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Labor Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Assistant Farm Manager - Australia
- New Product Development Assistant Manager
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
- Kenya overtakes South Africa to become Africa's biggest exporter of avocados
- Italy: 150 million euros confiscated from fruit and veg Mafiosi
- “Drop in Turkish lira is making us a lot more money”
- “We recognize the different specifications our customers are looking for”
- California labor shortage drives container growing for berries
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Vietnam exports first batch of star apples to US
The first batch of Vietnamese star apples has been exported to the US by the Cat Tuong Agricultural Products Producing & Processing Co Ltd from the Mekong Delta province of Tien Giang, as announced by the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (MARD).
With this shipment, Vietnam has become the first and only country licensed to sell fresh star apples to the demanding US market, following years of negotiations. The US is Vietnam’s third largest fruit export destination, with 2016 fruit export revenues reaching 84.5 million dollars, an increase of 44.2 percent year-on-year.
According to the Business Inquirer, this makes the US a big potential market for Vietnamese fruits in general and star apples in particular. Star apples occupy fifth place -after litchi, longan,rambutan and dragon fruit- on the list of Vietnamese fruit allowed onto the American market.
Vietnam has about 5,000 hectares of star apples, mainly in the Mekong Delta provinces of Tien Giang (3,100 ha) and Can Tho (1,200 ha). As of December 15, Vietnam’s fruit export turnover was recorded at 3.35 billion dollars, 45 percent higher than in the same period last year.
Publication date: 1/2/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: