Job offersmore »
- (junior) Agronomist China
- Department Chair and Professor of Human Ecology - Davis (CA) USA
- Factory Manager Assistant - Huizhou, China
- Internal Salesperson - Netherlands
- Crop Manager - Northern France
- Farm General Manager - Egypt
- Grower (cucumbers) - Australia
- Projectleider Export - Maasdijk, Nederland
- Sales representative - Eastern PA, DE, MD, VA & WV, USA
- Sales representative - Michigan, USA
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Vietnam exports first batch of star apples to US
The first batch of Vietnamese star apples has been exported to the US by the Cat Tuong Agricultural Products Producing & Processing Co Ltd from the Mekong Delta province of Tien Giang, as announced by the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (MARD).
With this shipment, Vietnam has become the first and only country licensed to sell fresh star apples to the demanding US market, following years of negotiations. The US is Vietnam’s third largest fruit export destination, with 2016 fruit export revenues reaching 84.5 million dollars, an increase of 44.2 percent year-on-year.
According to the Business Inquirer, this makes the US a big potential market for Vietnamese fruits in general and star apples in particular. Star apples occupy fifth place -after litchi, longan,rambutan and dragon fruit- on the list of Vietnamese fruit allowed onto the American market.
Vietnam has about 5,000 hectares of star apples, mainly in the Mekong Delta provinces of Tien Giang (3,100 ha) and Can Tho (1,200 ha). As of December 15, Vietnam’s fruit export turnover was recorded at 3.35 billion dollars, 45 percent higher than in the same period last year.
Publication date: 1/2/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: