Job offersmore »
- Engineer support in agricultural sciences - Switzerland
- Farm Manager - Perth, Western Australia
- Expansion manager
- Horticultural Specialist - Emeryville (CA) USA
- Sales Manager Europe Division
- Grower - Delta, (OH) USA
- Export Sales - Perth, Australia
- Production Manager Indonesia - Magelang/Central Java, Indonesia
- Director ASIA Research Station Operations - Bangkok, Thailand
- Spécialiste Technique et commercial Biocontrôle pour l’Ouest de la France
Top 5 - yesterday
- Eden Agri Citrus: black farmers assume majority share-holding in packhouse
- Canadian growers shake their heads at talk of boycotting US goods
- First ever red sweet onions out of Walla Walla
- New Zealand: Exclusive avocado access to Australia under threat
- German specialist extending shelf life without preservatives
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Myanmar: State government and private sector to cultivate ginger in RakhineThe Rakhine regional Government is set to cooperate with the private sector to cultivate ginger in Rakhine State, according to the Union of Myanmar Federation of Chambers of Commerce and Industry (UMFCCI).
One of the more viable avenues for growth and economic development in Rakhine is in the cultivation of ginger and production of ginger-based goods. Already, a draft plan to establish a ginger plantation in the State is in the works, the MyanMar Times learned.
Ginger is a staple of local diets and the country also exports 3 million dollars worth of ginger to Bangladesh each year. Even though ginger is now planted mainly in the south of Shan State, conditions in Rakhine State are favourable for cultivation.
From Rakhine, ginger can also be exported directly to Bangladesh, which is more cost-effective as Rakhine ginger farmers can save on transportation costs. While there are also opportunities to export ginger to the US, Netherlands and Germany, demand for Myanmar ginger from Bangladesh is currently the greatest.
Publication date: 12/21/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: