Job offersmore »
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Nordics - Finland
- International Account Manager City Farming - Netherlands
- CEO - Prague
- Plant Specialist - Melbourne, Australia
- General Manager European Region - Bologna, Italy
- Einkaufsverantwortlicher / Kundenbetreuer - Die Schweiz
- Continuous Improvement Specialist - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
- Innovation Leader - Johnston (Iowa), USA
- VP of Sales - Montreal, Canada
- IPM Consultant - Adelaide Plains, Australia
Top 5 - yesterday
- Sinaloa mango pack-house opens for the season
- Lidl Moerdijk: Europe's largest banana ripening facility
- Chilean Hortifrut interested in buying the largest Peruvian producer of blueberries
- TAPKIT: 500m2 self-assembly hydroponic greenhouse
- “We provide remote, in-transit corrective actions to containerized shipments”
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Michoacan contributes more than 90% of the blackberry and more than 60% of the strawberry
Mexico is the world's fourth largest producer of berries
Thanks to Michoacan, Mexico is the fourth largest producer of berries, as it contributes more than 90% of the country's blackberry production and more than 60% of its strawberry production. Mexico produces 248,512 tons of blackberry and Michoacan produces 238,832 tons of that fruit.
Pascual Sigala Paez, the Secretary of Rural and Agricultural Food Development stated that Michoacan produces more than 341,130 tons of strawberries. It is followed by Baja California with 70 thousand tons. In total, the country produces 468 thousand tons of strawberries.
The head of the agricultural policy of the entity also said that Michocan ranked second at the national level in the production of raspberry and blueberry with an annual production of more than 17 thousand and 6 thousand tons, respectively.
He highlighted that raspberry and blueberry production had grown by 200% in the last four years; so Michoacan will also be a leader in the production of these fruits in a few years.
The berries, he said, are in great demand in the US market and also in the Europe and, thanks to the good agricultural practices in terms of health and safety applied by the producers from Michoacan, exports of this fruits are continuously increasing.
Sigala Paez also said that the main destinations for these fruits were Chile, Canada, the United States, the Netherlands, Japan, and the United Kingdom.
The six most important berries worldwide are blueberries, cranberries, strawberries, raspberries, currant, and blackberry; and Michocan has a high production of four of these berries.
Publication date: 12/21/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: