Job offersmore »
- Hydroponic Crop Manager - Tahiti
- Manager Operational Excellence - El Salvador
- Area Manager North Europe - The Netherlands
- Senior Veredelaar Bloemen
- Consultant - Head of Sales or Greenhouse Owner
- Consultant - Head Grower of Greenhouse
- IPM Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Labor Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Assistant Farm Manager - Australia
- New Product Development Assistant Manager
Top 5 - yesterday
- Malaysia: Japanese square watermelons sold in Kuala Lumpur
- Extreme temperatures in Europe cause worst vegetable crisis in 40 years
- 'Readycado': Sensor alerts avo lovers when fruit is ready to eat
- Costa Rica: Pineapple producers fear the bonanza is coming to an end
- European garlic competing with California on freight to East Coast
Top 5 - last week
- Significant increase of Egyptian agricultural exports to Russia
- ROP's modified atmosphere (MA) bulk liner and ROP's MA Ultra-thin film
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL TABLE GRAPE MARKET
- Kenya overtakes South Africa to become Africa's biggest exporter of avocados
- Italy: 150 million euros confiscated from fruit and veg Mafiosi
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
120 kilos cocaine found hidden in bananas in LeverkusenWith the help of some attentive employees of a fruit import and export company, who warned the Joint Drugs Unit (GER) of the Cologne Police and the Customs Office in Essen, 120 kilos of cocaine was confiscated.
In November, logistics’ employees found several suspicious packages in boxes of bananas and called the police. The GER confirmed the suspicions: cocaine. The officers searched over 1,100 boxes of tropical fruit and found over 120 packages with the white powder.
Unknown criminals used the international banana transport as a hiding place for the cocaine. Apparently, they failed to retrieve the drugs off the ship, on arrival at its European port of destination, Rotterdam. The GER investigators do not have reason to believe that the import and export company is involved in smuggling and drug trafficking. However, GER is aware of several similar cases in German federal states in the recent past.
Thanks to the help of the employees, the Cologne Police and the Customs Office in Essen prevented that the high-quality cocaine, worth almost five million Euros, reached the streets. The GER continues to investigate the drugs smuggling.
Source: Cologne Police, Polizei Köln
Publication date: 12/11/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: