Job offersmore »
- Department Chair and Professor of Human Ecology - Davis (CA) USA
- Factory Manager Assistant - Huizhou, China
- Internal Salesperson - Netherlands
- Crop Manager - Northern France
- Farm General Manager - Egypt
- Grower (cucumbers) - Australia
- Projectleider Export - Maasdijk, Nederland
- Sales representative - Eastern PA, DE, MD, VA & WV, USA
- Sales representative - Michigan, USA
- Assistant Grower - Delta (BC), Canada
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Lucien de Wit, Luba Fresh:
"More and more competition from Asia with Egyptian strawberries"The first Egyptian strawberries have arrived on the European market once again this week, including at Luba Fresh. "We have arrivals three to four times a week," says Lucien de Wit. "The Egyptian strawberry season always starts at a good time, as the Dutch season is ending and there is no real alternative on the market. Until Spain arrives on the market, Egypt is the main supplier."
There are risks. "There is more and more competition from Asia. A lot of Egyptian strawberries go to destinations like Hong Kong and Singapore, and Russia is also a good buyer," says Lucien. Whereas other production countries are increasingly switching to soft fruit, the Egyptian growers remain faithful to the strawberry. "People are also succeeding in putting a good quality product on the market with strong varieties such as Fortuna and Festival."
The productions are at a good level this year. Prices are at a level between 13 and 15 Euro. "The biggest problem in this period is always the air freight capacity, especially now that a number of flights from Cairo have been cancelled," says Lucien. "But the demand is good. We have customers for Egyptian strawberries both domestically and on the export markets and even sell them to cutters."
For more information:
Luciën de Wit
Tel: 0031 (0) 77-777 7715
Mob: 0031 (0) 6-41273443
Fax: 0031 (0) 77-777 7725
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: