Job offersmore »
- Senior Inkoper - Maasdijk, Nederland
- Product Manager Biostimulants - Westmaas, the Netherlands
- Corporate Grower - Camarillo (CA), USA
- General Manager China - Kunming, China
- Buyer greenhouse crops - Almeria, Spain
- Trucking Fleet Manager - Azerbaijan
- Fresh Produce Traders Required for a Leading Dutch/UK Fresh Produce Business
- Key Accountmanager Horticulture Glass
- Product & Applicatie Specialist Opkweek
- Assistant Grower - Canada
Top 5 - yesterday
- Nominees for the 2018 Fruit Logistica Innovation Awards are announced
- Ecuador: Banana prices are expected to be high at the beginning of 2018
- Excessive temperatures worry Western Cape citrus farmers
- "We currently distribute 7,000 to 8,000 fruit baskets a week"
- The new entry for the Crimson Snow family is the French Mesfruits
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Amazon: Steeper price cuts at Whole Foods Market
- Year-round produce for Canada’s most northern communities
- BILLA Online Shop: over 50% of the online shopping baskets contain fresh products
- South Australia agricultural exports have increased due to new airlines
- Turkish tomato exports shot up 46% in October
Exchange ratesmore »
Honduras exports melons to 47 countries
The Honduran melon, which is mainly grown in the communities of Valle and Choluteca in the extreme south of the country, is exported to 47 countries on three continents, according to a report of the Ministry of Agriculture and Livestock (SAG).
Up until August, melon exports, including watermelon exports, amounted to 69.5 million dollars, i.e. 17.9 million dollars more than in the same period of 2016.
This evolution is attributed to the 27.9 percent increase in international prices and the 5.3 percent increase in volume. The United States and the Netherlands are the largest buyers of Honduran fruit in the world.
For many years, the dynamics of marketing focused solely on the United States, but due to the diversification of the varieties, the exportable supply and the amount of land that is planted, sales worldwide increased.
The most exported varieties in the green melons category, are the cantaloupe, honeydew, and galia variety.
In the current 2016/17 season, Honduras has exported 3,908 containers of melons, i.e. 84,178.14 metric tons, according to the same report of the SAG.
In May 2016, domestic producers entered the Japanese market with the mediation of government authorities.
In July of this year, Taiwan confirmed the approval of the importation of melons grown on two Honduran farms. The first containers should be arriving in that country in the last week of December.
Publication date: 11/27/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: