Job offersmore »
- Senior Grower - Australia
- General Manager - Australia
- Purchasing Specialist Exoten - Netherlands
- Intercompany Key Account Manager Exoten - Netherlands
- Buitendienst Medewerker - Oost Nederland
- Managing Grower - Australia
- Senior Grower - Talbotville, Ontario, Canada
- Operations Manager - Fresh Produce
- Senior Account Manager Retail - Netherlands
- Supply Allocation and Inventory Manager - Fresh Produce, Italy
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Costa Rica: Government accused of ignoring organic pineapple issue
- Organic food consumption continues to increase in Europe
- Russian fruit and vegetable imports partially recovered
- Spain: About 20,000 tonnes of stone fruit damaged by frost in Murcia
- Research into potential of Feijoas to become Australia's next 'superfood'
Exchange ratesmore »
French potato production up by 21% this yearThe French production of potatoes for consumption amounted to 6,180,500 tonnes in 2017, compared to 5,106,500 tonnes in 2016 and 5,226,000 tonnes in 2015. Thus, in 2017, production has increased by 21% compared to the previous year.
The acreage devoted to the crop's cultivation stands at 131,640 hectares, which entails a 5.1% increase compared to last year, after a 5.3% growth two years ago.
In 2017, the average yield reached 47 tonnes/hectare, which represents an increase of more than 15% compared to last year; that is, 6 tonnes more in one year. However, the figure for 2017 is about 3 tonnes/hectare lower than the record level of 2014, when the yield reached 50 tonnes/hectare.
Compared to 2014 (the last year when there was a high production), production in 2017 is approximately 110,000 tonnes higher, but industrial demand in the countries of north western Europe has increased by 1.5 million tonnes between 2014 and 2017.
Publication date: 11/23/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: