Job offersmore »
- Account-Manager - Wickede/Ruhr, Germany
- Grower for pot plant production - Tönisvorst - Germany
- Assistant Grower & Growers - Ohio, USA
- Fruit & vegetables Export-Import manager - Avignon or Perpignan, France
- Area Manager North Europe - Netherlands
- Area Sales Manager Oost Europa - Netherlands
- Benelux Sales Manager - Grow lights, Holland
- Productie Manager - Ethiopia
- Head of Sales Europe
- Engineer support in agricultural sciences - Switzerland
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- Second season for Idaho's only commercial blueberry grower
- Walmart plans to sell Japanese supermarket unit Seiyu
- Greenyard under fire after listeria contamination
- AU: New fully recyclable packaging set to take fresh produce industry by storm
- NY cherry growers could harvest sweet profits with tall greenhouses
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
French potato production up by 21% this yearThe French production of potatoes for consumption amounted to 6,180,500 tonnes in 2017, compared to 5,106,500 tonnes in 2016 and 5,226,000 tonnes in 2015. Thus, in 2017, production has increased by 21% compared to the previous year.
The acreage devoted to the crop's cultivation stands at 131,640 hectares, which entails a 5.1% increase compared to last year, after a 5.3% growth two years ago.
In 2017, the average yield reached 47 tonnes/hectare, which represents an increase of more than 15% compared to last year; that is, 6 tonnes more in one year. However, the figure for 2017 is about 3 tonnes/hectare lower than the record level of 2014, when the yield reached 50 tonnes/hectare.
Compared to 2014 (the last year when there was a high production), production in 2017 is approximately 110,000 tonnes higher, but industrial demand in the countries of north western Europe has increased by 1.5 million tonnes between 2014 and 2017.
Publication date: 11/23/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: