Job offersmore »
- Growing Manager - Skye, Victoria
- Assistant Professor of Urban Horticultural Crops - United States (CA)
- Senior Inkoper - Maasdijk, Nederland
- Product Manager Biostimulants - Westmaas, the Netherlands
- Corporate Grower - Camarillo (CA), USA
- General Manager China - Kunming, China
- Buyer greenhouse crops - Almeria, Spain
- Trucking Fleet Manager - Azerbaijan
- Fresh Produce Traders Required for a Leading Dutch/UK Fresh Produce Business
- Key Accountmanager Horticulture Glass
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
French potato production up by 21% this yearThe French production of potatoes for consumption amounted to 6,180,500 tonnes in 2017, compared to 5,106,500 tonnes in 2016 and 5,226,000 tonnes in 2015. Thus, in 2017, production has increased by 21% compared to the previous year.
The acreage devoted to the crop's cultivation stands at 131,640 hectares, which entails a 5.1% increase compared to last year, after a 5.3% growth two years ago.
In 2017, the average yield reached 47 tonnes/hectare, which represents an increase of more than 15% compared to last year; that is, 6 tonnes more in one year. However, the figure for 2017 is about 3 tonnes/hectare lower than the record level of 2014, when the yield reached 50 tonnes/hectare.
Compared to 2014 (the last year when there was a high production), production in 2017 is approximately 110,000 tonnes higher, but industrial demand in the countries of north western Europe has increased by 1.5 million tonnes between 2014 and 2017.
Publication date: 11/23/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: