Job offersmore »
- Product Manager Biostimulants - Westmaas, the Netherlands
- Corporate Grower - Camarillo (CA), USA
- General Manager China - Kunming, China
- Buyer greenhouse crops - Almeria, Spain
- Trucking Fleet Manager - Azerbaijan
- Fresh Produce Traders Required for a Leading Dutch/UK Fresh Produce Business
- Key Accountmanager Horticulture Glass
- Product & Applicatie Specialist Opkweek
- Assistant Grower - Canada
- Experienced International Buyer/Seller Germany
Top 5 - yesterday
- Excellent EU grape market – if only the grapes can get there
- Winter storm Benji dusts southern US and Mexico with rare snow
- Challenges and opportunities for Colombia's banana sector
- California growers set out to fully assess wildfire damage
- Morocco: Strawberry acreage grows from 10 to 3,660 hectares in 27 years
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Amazon: Steeper price cuts at Whole Foods Market
- Year-round produce for Canada’s most northern communities
- BILLA Online Shop: over 50% of the online shopping baskets contain fresh products
- South Australia agricultural exports have increased due to new airlines
- Turkish tomato exports shot up 46% in October
Exchange ratesmore »
South American tropical fruit successfully planted in Gaza StripAfter ten years of care and monitoring, the Ministry of Agriculture of Gaza has achieved a new success with the planting of the tropical fruit feijoa, which was originally grown in Argentina, Paraguay and Brazil. The project started 10 years ago in a testing station in the city of Khan Younis, south of the Gaza Strip.
The General Director of Orientation and Rural Development of the Ministry of Agriculture, Nizar Al-Wahidi, explained that the Ministry decided to take the fruit to Gaza and try to grow it there because of its many benefits and because the growing conditions in Gaza were thought to be ideal for the crop.
According to Al-Wahidi, the Ministry managed to plant a thousand trees in the Gaza Strip under conditions that facilitated their growth, hoping that the new fruit would attract the interest of a high number of citizens due to its distinctive, strong flavour and good taste.
What is feijoa?
It is one of the jackfruit species, with an oval and circular shape. It is very similar to guava, with a green skin and various degrees of softness and roughness. It looks very much like avocado and is also very tasty.
It tastes like pineapples, but it's not a pineapple, and it looks like guava, but it's not, and it smells like strawberries, but it's not. It is a combination of tropical fruits.
The fruit is popular all over the world. Al-Wahidi describes its taste as wonderful and it is also said to contain many beneficial elements. The agricultural expert expects the fruit to be highly demanded by the Palestinian people, as they demand a diverse supply.
Al-Wahidi explained that the fruit will help put an end to the Palestinian dependence on traditional fruits and that it will turn into a popular product after it hits the market.
Publication date: 11/20/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: