- Flower Bulb and Perennial Sales Position - Portland (Oregon) USA
- Plant Production Scientist - Brooklyn (NY) USA
- Greenhouse Assistant Grower - Abbotsford (B.C.) Canada
- Technical Sales Representative - South Western Ontario, Canada
- Farm Manager - West Africa
- Managing Agronomist - Surinam
- Vegetal Material Programme Leader - Cisterna di Latina (Latium), Italy
- Head of Sales North America - Sacramento (CA) USA
- Inkoop Specialist Holland Product - Netherlands
- Vegetable Grower - Australia
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last month
Top 5 -last week
Spain closer to supplying whole berry range year round
Juan Báñez, manager of Cuna de Platero, explains that "strawberry production in the area of Avila has been a result of the Global Berry Partner project, which saw the need to supply strawberries for longer in supermarkets by offering strawberries in season all year round to our customers. That's why we planned to start planting in Avila, which has a very favourable climate and conditions for a good harvest, later than the one in southern Spain."
In the words of the manager of Cuna de Platero, "we have strawberries in Huelva from December to June approximately; that is why we had the idea of planting five and a half hectares in Avila, as they would allow us to continue supplying from June to November. As a result, we'll be able to supply the fruit almost all year round."
"The objective was not to look for a business in itself, but to be able to offer the best to our clients. The markets now know that we can supply a quality domestic product all year round and Spanish supermarkets are very happy with the news," says Juan Báñez. "In the period when we'll distribute the strawberries from Avila, there is no competition from other countries, and consumers also like them a lot, because they are different varieties with an exceptional flavour and quality."
This project is mainly aimed at Spanish supermarkets, since the European markets have their own summer fruit during that period. Moreover, the domestic market is demanding increasingly more berries, as their great health benefits are becoming more popular.
In the case of strawberries, the company has its own production throughout the year, but it has also expanded the supply of berries in the off-season with imports from other countries. In raspberries, for example, the preference is to sell its own production, although it has to resort to overseas purchases when stocks run out. In the case of blueberries and blackberries, the company already has an uninterrupted supply thanks to supply from areas such as South America (Chile, Peru or Argentina), Asturias, Portugal, etc. "The Spanish supermarket chains are responding very well to this initiative; they demand a great volume from us," he says.
"The consumption and production of these types of fruits will grow little by little in Spain, since now they are available all year round in supermarkets. We are sure that the campaigns carried out to promote the healthy benefits of berries are having a great impact on consumer choices and, as a result, the consumption is likely to continue growing," says Báñez.
Cuna de Platero is a specialist in the production and marketing of raspberries, with volumes totalling around 2 million kilos of the varieties Adelita, Lupita and Glen Lyon, which are marketed mainly in Spain, but also in the European market. According to Juan Bánez, "things are moving at a slower pace than last year in the European market and with somewhat lower prices, as there is a greater supply, but we think that the season's prospects are good and that the demand may increase in the coming months."
Cuna de Platero S.C.A.
Camino de Montemayor s/n.
21800 Moguer, Huelva. Spain
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 09/21/2018 Chile: Good results of fruit sector are linked to China
- 09/20/2018 New Zealand kiwifruit growers experience a bumper Hayward crop
- 09/20/2018 AU: Odeum Farms helping to restore confidence in WA's strawberry industry
- 09/19/2018 US domestic blackberry season extending longer
- 09/19/2018 Ulster: Canker attacks gas-stored apples
- 09/19/2018 New Zealand: Native birds as potential alternative to pesticides
- 09/18/2018 Positive year ahead for Ontario apples
- 09/18/2018 Honeycrunch expects a strong production increase this year
- 09/18/2018 Watsonville strawberries are winding down
- 09/17/2018 Turkey: Watermelon harvest in Hakkari generates revenue for local economy
- 09/17/2018 Local market flourishing for Colorado cantaloupe
- 09/14/2018 Turkey: Apples from Siirt are exported to 8 different countries
- 09/14/2018 Turkey: Tons of watermelons damaged in Mus due to hailstorm
- 09/14/2018 China: 2018 Xinjiang Korla pear harvest
- 09/14/2018 China: Blueberry market prospects look good
- 09/14/2018 France : Mirabelles take over cherry production
- 09/14/2018 Research claims prunes have bone-building power
- 09/14/2018 France : Limousin needs over 1,000 apple pickers
- 09/14/2018 Poland: 99% of apples and pears sold by Biedronka are domestic
- 09/14/2018 Kazakhstan imports more apples from Iran and Uzbekistan, replacing Polish fruit